X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ss396t6
    Apprentice
    • Oct 21 2014

Scotts Daughters 1962 Bulletbird!

Are 225/75r14 radials recommended as replacement tires for a '62 convertible. 1" wide whitewall?

Thanks,
    Scott Sims
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Either 215/75/14 or 225/75/14 will work just fine. The 225/75/14 are probably the closest in size to the original 800x14 belted tires.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ss396t6
      Apprentice
      • Oct 21 2014

Thanks, John! Love your convertible. Rarely see those anymore.

I called Diamondback tires and the representative confirmed that 225/75r/14 tires are what he would recommend, too. The price each made me consider lesser priced tires. That was why I asked about the width of the whitewall. I think Diamondbacks are 1.2" wide.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

1962 Thunderbirds had 1" whitewalls. Thanks for the compliment on the car. I sold it a few years ago. Just one of many that are long gone. Only the pictures remain.

John

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Definitely 225/75/14 1" white walls work perfect on a 62. They also works perfect on the 60 as well. Radials of course
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• bird 60
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 18 2009

I agree with the 1" whitewalls for the Bullet Birds, but 2 1/2" for the Square Birds.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• ss396t6
              Apprentice
              • Oct 21 2014

Thanks, All. My daughter found a 1962 Thunderbird convertible that had been sitting in a garage for ten years. It needs a new fuel tank, sending unit, brake booster, tires. Runs nice, nice body and chrome, above average interior. All power, no AC for $2500.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Congratulations. It sounds like you stole it.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1962 tires

Hi Scott! I agree with John. That sounds like it is an excellent find! You can find the new gas tanks and sending unit through Rock Auto, and use the 5% discount in the Advertisments Forum for them. You may want to see about putting a dual MC and power booster on it. Perhaps even adding front disc brakes to it for even better braking. If she wants to add aftermarket AC to it, that will run $1,449 from Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit system. They make complete AC systems especially for the '55-'66 Tbirds.

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/...ioning-system/

Take a look at the Install & More Info link and the T-Bird 62 link for additional information.

It might be something that she might want to check into. Classic Auto Air is in your own backyard. I know their techs very well from helping other Forum members get AC on their Tbirds. If she decides to go that route, please let me know and I can help.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Woobie
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 1 2016

Hi. That's a great find.

Above is a tire size conversion chart. There are many floating around.

There are the Milestar MS775 and Hankook Optimo H724 tires available in whitewall 14".

A while back we found the Tiger Paw AWP in whitewall but those were for a 15" rim. They may carry a 14"in your size.

Good Luck. Any photographs ? Before/After ?
                    Austin

Comment

• Woobie
                      Experienced
                      • Apr 1 2016

Oh, Here they are:

Austin

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Scotts Daughters 1962 Bulletbird!

Scott ~ ss396t6 has been posting in the BulletBird Forum regarding the 1962 Bulletbird that his daughter has bought. Here is what he has had to say about it and some pix of it.

"My daughter said it was a dark maroon metallic with a cream interior. All power, no AC. Lots of maintenance and repair records plus original owner's manual. Her mechanic got it started and she said she was amazed how quietly it ran. I am ordering new tires, fuel tank, sending unit, brake booster, etc. The engine and transmission were rebuilt in the late '90s and parked in 2007 for ten years. The engine bay needs cleaned up a lot and the carb is being rebuilt."

The color seems to be X 1470 Maroon Metallic, Sales Name Heritage Burgundy (also a Lincoln color) with a cream interior.

Here are some pix of it.
                        Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Very nice colour combo. Good stuff
                          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                          Thunderbird Registry
                          58HT #33317
                          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• ss396t6
                            Apprentice
                            • Oct 21 2014

1962 photos

Ray Clark posted photos of the car somewhere on this site. Are the soft tops difficult to install? The top appears to be in driver quality shape but the plastic window has yellowed.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Dec 23 2008

I have a 63 Sport Roadster and one of the best things to have on hand is the Convertible Top Manual. Buy it, Download it or whatever, but read it several times, make the jumpers, label the relays and switches to get familiar with everything. The system is overwhelming at first, but only one thing happens at a time. Whether you work on it yourself or have a mechanic do the work, the manuals are absolutely essential. The lack of use is a big source of trouble on a convertible but a bigger one is having someone trying to fix something without directions.

Should your hyd system need restoration, use ATF or quality hyd fluid. I think ATF was started to be used in 62, but some older cars used brake fluid which has absorbed water and caused corrosion over the years.

Ask questions, but the best help is in the manual

Nice car and enjoy! J

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎