X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

"Tweety Bird" Revealed!!

Hi Pat! The hat and the shirt were a gift. The golfing knickers and socks was mine. Bad idea! lol.. However, I might wear them again, but probably not the socks. After I wore those socks, I had a ring around my upper leg where the elastic band was. It stayed there for some time. They were made in China and probably had lead in them! Or something else.

I just came back from seeing Tweety Bird in all her glory in the sun! With the sun out brightly, she looks lighter in color than she did yesterday in the dark, overcast sky. We opened the doors and compared the interior yellow of the seat covers to the exterior paint. It looks like a pretty close match to me. We know that if you look into the interior with the windows up, or through the windshield or back window, that you get a different effect because of the tinted windows. Joe said he is getting a lot of very positive comments about her from customers. His wife also pronounced her to be beautiful. He said that was high praise from his wife because if she did not like her, she would have said so!

Joe told me that they put 3 coats of white base on and 2 coats of white pearl. They put 8 coats of yellow base on and 2 coats of yellow pearl. Then they put 3 coats of polyurethane clear on her. They used polyurethane PPG paint products. They do not use enamel or water based paints.

I brought by two of my yellow painted rims I picked up today to compare paint colors. My rims are to bright, and do not match up well. The guy who sandblasted them and painted them used rattle can Krylon Sun Burst paint. Joe said to bring the other three on Monday and they will paint all five of them with my yellow paint to make them match the car.

Here are another pic or so of what she looks like today. To us, she looks lighter in color than she did in that overcast of yesterday. I notice that with the sun reflecting off the pearlescent effect, in areas where you see that, it looks duller when viewing the pictures. But the pearlescent effect sure is striking! If you look down the sides that are in the shade, she shines brightly! Joe said she will change in color and brightness depending on the time of day, weather conditions or lighting you are under or near.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; June 4, 2010, 07:45 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• troubsullivan
      Apprentice
      • Apr 1 2010

that's one awesome bird!

more great pics! i just gotta say it again, i dig that color!! i know yellow is not for everyone but it always seems to put me in a good mood. the white "collar" around the cowls and tops of doors was a great idea and it looks awesome. you gotta be super happy with her ray, congratulations again!
      can't wait to see her all dressed in her chrome.

pat

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

"Tweety Bird" Revealed!!

Hi Pat, Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated! I liked the idea of offsetting the top like that from the yellow and joining the front section to the rear section. I also like my white "tail feathers". I think it adds to the over all look of the car. I also want to see what it is going to look like with the chrome back on. All has been re-chromed, or replaced with new parts. New Tbird emblems all around, including a couple of Squarebird emblems that no one has probably EVER seen before! She should look great once all is back together!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• kuusamon
          Experienced
          • Feb 14 2009

Hi Ray,

I like it very much, very daring, but a good choice!.
          It answers a lot of questions for me because I have been asking around concerning concourse regulations or not or in my case, getting a museum registration her in Finland.
          Question was if you keep the car as original as you can ecxept if safety is in question, can you still get this museum (concourse) registration. The answer was yes. As to color, my car is diamond blue(as stated on the date plate) but was repainted long ago with color very close but slightly of. I was thinking that I do not like that diamond blue color especially in combination with the black conv. top and black interior.
          I was thinking more of a red with some chrome pieces(as the hood scoop) or maybe black or now I see the 2 tone and I like that very much.
          I am open to suggestion of a exterior 2 tone combination fitting with a black conv. top.
          So it must be alright than if you do not stick to the date plate.

greets,
          sigpicGreets,
          Ronald
          Kuusamo
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• 619Square
            Apprentice
            • Aug 20 2009

Very nice! Love the yellow... very discrete! lol

Can't wait to see more of her as time permits!

Cheers!
            --------------------------------
            1960 Thunderbird
            Been in my family since 1961
            Portland, OR

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Bitchin'!

I too can't wait to see her all finished!
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

"Tweety Bird" Revealed!!

Thanks, Guys! In a few more days, they will be putting the chrome back on and the interior back in. Ronald, if you were to paint your Tbird red and black, red where mine is yellow, and black where mine is white, I think that would look pretty sharp! If you were to put the external chrome kit on her, wowww! She would look really cool! I photo shopped a Tbird for you and sent it to you in email. I am not very good at photo shopping, but you can get the idea.

Comment

• kuusamon
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 14 2009

Thanks Ray for you mail with the coloring idea. Very nice!
                  I also like the new nick name you gave your bird 'Tweety Bird'.

greets,
                  sigpicGreets,
                  Ronald
                  Kuusamo
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

Appears they did a really clean job on the bodywork - can't see any evidence of a truck stuck in the beak (maybe it's a hawk instead of a Tweety Bird trying to eat that truck bumper?).

With all that newly re-chromed trim and bumpers that's going to be one fine show car. Bet you are ready to get her finished.

Eric

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

"Tweety Bird" Revealed!!

Hi Eric & Ron, Yes, I will be glad to see what she looks like finished. There is a park not far from JD's shop. When she is ready to go, I am going to drive around the corner, pull into the park, put her on top of a little rise and do some picture taking with the woods behind her. I really want to find a nice water fountain that I can shoot her in front of also. She should be styling with the best when she is done. It is a shame that she had someone stick her beak in the rear end of a F-250. Had it not been for that, I would have made the VTCI Regional with no problems. And yes, it looks like they have done a fine job restoring the damage to her.

Ron, as for her new nickname, it was not me that gave it to her. The customers at Danny's upholstery shop would ask to see "Tweety Bird" when they came into his shop to do business with him. You could not miss her because she had her own bay for months as they worked on her. Also, the same thing happens at JD's Paint & Body. They want to see what "Tweety Bird" is looking like. So the name is gonna stick and I guess she will have two of them! I decided to put it on the display board that Anders is having made for me.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

"Tweety Bird" Revealed!!

Today I went by to drop off my rims. They are about to paint my fender skirts and will paint the rims at the same time so they match my car. While I was there, I got to watch some of the post paint process of getting "orange peel" off the car, scrubbing and rubbing the paint. They had done a section of the hood that forms the air scoop part of it and were working on the sides when I got there. The hood area really shines up beautifully! Joe said they should finish this process today and start the buffing process tomorrow. On Wednesday, he wants me to bring back the bumpers so they can start putting them back on! Later in the week, I should be able to get Joseph over from Danny's interior shop to put the interior and trunk back together again... Here is a pic of the guy working on the car. There is a lot of manual labor intensive work with this process from what I saw. I will put a few more pix up on my web page.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Ray,
                          Tell them to hurry!!! Just kidding, can't rush a good thing. I'm chomping at the bit to she her finished!
                          As far as VTCI Regional, the H@LL with them, they need to realize she is 51 years old! Show me one that old that has not had a ding in her!
                          I'm 47 and I have several dings in me
                          Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

"Tweety Bird" Revealed!!

Hi Richard, we are almost there. Maybe by Friday or Monday or so, I might be able to drive her out of there. I am going to miss the Regional it looks like, through no fault of theirs. It was me that wanted to have her ready to drive her to Ft. Worth and enter her in her first ever Concours judging event. She would be entered in the Customized category. For me, it would have been the first opportunity to show her off since her restoration. That will have to wait, as far as having her judged in a VTCI Regional, until next year. My local club, the So. Texas Tbird Club, is hosting the Regional event next year, in Fredricksburg, not to many miles up the road from me. I hope to take her to our local Friday night event at the Pig Stand downtown were all the local hot rodders and classic cars get together each week. That should be something to see, when I drive into the lot with Rose!

For those of you in Minnesota, you might know of the annual Turkey Fest competition and race that goes on every year between the Worthington, Minnesota turkey Paycheck and the Cuero, Texas turkey, Ruby Begonia. I have been asked to bring Rose to the parade in October, and have asked my club if they want to also make this parade. This is a fun filled event, an excuse to have a big party, between the two cities, that has been going on for years. My youngest son is on the Board and wants me to bring Rose. To find out more about it, here is the Cuero web page.

Comment

• Paulie9fingers
                              Apprentice
                              • May 3 2010

Lookin' good Ray , you gonna do any kind of pin stripe where the colors come together ?
                              " If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour ... you're gonna see some serious sh*t. "

Dr Emmett Brown, 1985

Comment

• Gold Bird
                                Experienced
                                • Nov 9 2007

Ray, Great job on the car, really like how the paint scheme is working. I thought the interior was awesome, but put that together with the paint now and all I can say is WOW! Enjoy it, fantastic job!
                                sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎