• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 619Square
    Apprentice
    • Aug 20 2009

First Car You Ever Had...

Sorry if this has been done before!

But, as I have been looking around this board lately and I got to wondering....

What did you all own/have/drive as your first vehicle???

My Pop was/is a big MG fan.

So fittingly enough my first car was a '65 Mustang!

He was cool enough to let me pick what I wanted!!! And when the Mustang was down he let me drive one of the MG's... and vise versa! lol

So.... What did you all have???
    --------------------------------
    1960 Thunderbird
    Been in my family since 1961
    Portland, OR
  • 57ford/60thunderbird
    Experienced
    • May 4 2009

my first car was a 1968 pontiac firebird 350 2bbl powerglide that my mom bought brandnew it was red with a red interrior my dad destroyed it through wrecks and useing it as a off road hunting vehicle .... yeah so when i got it in 1988 it was pretty much trashed needing every single panel replaced and of course , like a fool i thought i could rebuild it i wanted to really bad but there was no way an 18 year old on minimum wage (3.35/hr) was gonna pull it off
    so i ended up selling it to my friends dad who had a 68 that needed a roof and the rest of my first car is still in his dads basement as far as i know (455 h.o 67 complete tri-power and 4:30 posi 10bolt) and all

my second car (the first one i paid money for) was a 72 mach one 351C 2bbl 9inch got it for 500.00 drove it home loved that car miss that car a skinny little blonde chick took that one from me when she passed me on the right side as i was making a right turn but thats another story
    57 ford sedan
    60 thunderbird registry number 33404
    69 mustang coupe
    69 roadrunner

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

The first car I drove regularly was Dad's old '77 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Mandarin Orange metallic with a Buckskin (tan) interior, pinstripes, body moldings and landau top. Had the Olds (not Chevy) 350 cid V8 and 4 bbl. Sharp car he had owned since new, but it was about 10 years old then and a little worn.

Later, Mom and Dad bought me my own car, a '76 Camaro. It was metallic lime green and had the lowly 250 cid L6 with a 1 bbl carb and automatic. S L O W. It was full of rust. I used a gallon of bondo, a junk yard door, trunk lid and fender plus a couple of patch panels to heal 11 large rust holes.

I sold it and moved 'up' to a 1980 Chevy Monza 4 cyl.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

First car ...

My first car was a 1953 Mercury 2 door with a flathead V8 and a Merco-O-Matic trans with 18,000 original miles. Got it from my great grandfather for $1. Within a year it was sporting a dual quad 390 and a four speed with a 9" rear and 3:91 gears. Still looking for another one, so if anyone should run across one please let me know. Mike

Comment

My first was a 1963 Galaxie 300 2DR, I bought it for $15. It had a 6 cyl with a broken piston rod and a 3 sp. on the column. I had to tow it home. I friend of mine had a ford 6 cyl. engine laying out in a field, said it ran when he took it out of what ever it was he took it out of and sold it to me for 25 bucks. Swaped in the motor and that was that. It ran great, it was nice and streight and got this 16 year old kid everywhere I wanted to go. Not bad for 40 bucks and a bit of elbow grease! I lost that car in a house fire

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

First Car You Ever Had...

My first car was a yellow '53 Mercury with a black visor on it. It belonged to my future father-in-law, in Houston. I was a 2 striper in the Air Force and used to go to their home on the weekends to hang out with my girlfriend (later my wife) I used to wash his cars for him on the weekend. Sometimes he would let me drive the Merc, which I really liked. One weekend I went to see them and found the Merc was gone. He had traded it in on a brand new '59 (I think) Ford, the one where the top folded down and went into the trunk. We about burned the motors out on that car playing with the top that weekend! I went right over to the car dealer that he had traded the Merc in to, and bought it back! It was a good car. Later, I traded it in on a '57 red Chevy, my second car. That, was a great car and I would love to have it today!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey Guys,
              My first car was a 1978 Diamond Jubilee Edition Thunderbird and I still have one just like her
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Mine?
                A dead-stock '48 F1 pickup, flat-head and all!
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• fomoco59
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 10 2005

1964 Chrysler New Yorker, army green. 413 V8, push-button tranny. $200. Bought it in '74. I learned to drive in my Dad's '63 Grand Prix. Gas was still cheap back then.

Edit: Six months after buying the Chrysler, I bought my buddy's 5 yr old '69 GTO Convertible with 50k miles... for $900 !
                  That was too much car for a 19 yr old. 400/4 speed. That's one car I wish I didn't wrap around that pine tree.
                  Last edited by fomoco59; September 3, 2009, 02:38 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Mike Lemmon
                  '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

My folks bought a new Mustang in October of 64. In 1972 after 3 front end accidents my Dad got sick of having the body shop fix it, so he gave it to me when I was a junior in high school. I found fenders, hood, grill, radiator and bumper at a junk yard. Then I flared the rusty rear fenders and put on some big huge meats and aluminum mags. After a nice cinnamon paint job I daily drove the Stang till 1976 when I then traded it in for a new Kawi 400 motorcycle. I scanned a pic of my high school/college ride and have attached it below. That little pony started my love affair with Mustangs and have owned 5 more 65-68 Stangs since. Wish I had one now.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Guest; September 3, 2009, 08:08 AM. Reason: problems with pic attachment

Comment

• SandyBoy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Oct 31 2002

My first car was a brand-new 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible in bright red (Montero Red) with White interior & a White convertible roof, and gads of options. I was 17 at the time. My Grandparents bought it for me. I drove it very carefully, never raced, hand washed it weekly, and kept the interior spotless! I loved the car and almost put it on a pedistool like it was some kinda Saint! I had it 10 months when it was stolen! (It was never found)! The insurance company paid, and I PUT IN $1,200 from money I saved up, and ordered a 1967 Buick Skylark Gran Sport 455 Convertible, in dark grey (which was NOT available on a Skylark - it was a Riviera ONLY color, (Antique Pewter Metallic) but we ordered "SOP" (Special Order Paint Option) and for $99.00 I got the color. The top was White convertible and the interior was black vinyl buckets. I had her all through college, and for 2 years following of work. At 6 years old, it had 18,000 miles & I sold it to Mom. as I got a company car from the company I worked for.
                      Last edited by SandyBoy; September 3, 2009, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

I still have my 1st vehicle. My father bought my 1983 Chevy Silverado 4x2 C-10 P/U brand new. I bought it from him in 1988 when I started my driver's Ed. training. I still use her to this day at work from time to time....

-Jon
                        sigpic
                        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Howard Prout
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 11 2009

My first car was a 1939 Ford Tudor - paid $35 for it, which to me was a lot of money as I was still in high school. I spent a lot of time and money fixing it up. Several years later (when in college) I traded it for my Dad's 1956 Ford Fairlane. And the litany goes on and on. I bought the '59 TBird in 1974 because by then our kids were too big to sit on the back shelf of our 1967 Sunbeam Tiger II (it had a Ford 289 engine stock!) and we decided we wanted a Thunderbird convertible. We found it in Fort Collins, CO while on a trip and towed it home. It was in rathr poor condition so it took a lot of work to get it presentable. Thirty five years later I still drive it to the golf course most days in the summer.
                          sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

To chime in my first car was a 1956 Buick blue / white that weighed about 6000 lbs and I think I paid $250 -300 for it off my buddies Dad. I called it the sherman tank, as there was nothing and I mean nothing that would get in its way. Ran it for a couple of years and very little maintenance $$
                            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                            Thunderbird Registry
                            58HT #33317
                            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

My first car was a 1933 Chev. coupe I bought at a farm sale for $50.00 of course it was black re did the inside and painted it Fire Engine Red with a paint brush. Had a ball with it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎