alternator model type

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator model type

Hey guys,

I am going to do a gen to alt conversion but can not seem to find a model type of alternator to get. I am looking at getting a high amp output 3 wire. I will be using an electric fan and the normal stock electronics. Is there a model alternator I can pick up at a local parts store to do the conversion?

I did check the trl but I did not see a model listed. I believe I read a Mustang fox body alt would work.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

A Mustang Fox body alternator will NOT work. My 1990 came with a mechanical fan and a 70-amp alternator. That's not enough power for an electric fan. You need over 100 amps. (Ask me how I know.) 1995 T-birds had a 110-amp alt. that will work.

Go to a bone yard and get the electric fan AND alt from a Ford car or truck. If the car came with an electric fan, you KNOW the alt is big enough. If you're worried about high mileage, a brush holder set costs under $15.00 new.

Look for a full-size Ford, Mercury or Lincoln. Try to get one with a 351W engine because that setup favors your FE motor more closely than a SN95 setup. They normally clip the wires, so you get the plugs. If you don't get plugs they are for sale at the parts stores.

I run my Y-Block all day in parade traffic. The electric fan straightens out 'cooling at idle speeds' and the alt keeps my battery charged. The Fox Mustang alt will drain your battery, which is ok if you don't stall and you can get out into flowing traffic to cool your system and build your battery back up. See, the problem is, with a 75-amp, there isn't enough idle-speed amps but there is with a larger alt.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

late '90's Ford Contour dual electric fan will fit the stock radiator nicely; and can be bought new from rock auto for around $100
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Simply, any suggested model ford cars to ask autozone for to get an alternator?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

How are you going to mount it? If your block is drilled for an alternator you can use a Ford 1G style alternator if you get the correct factory style bracket for the water pump. Many '62 blocks were drilled for an alternator even if they came with a generator. If you don't have the hole drilled you will have to use an aftermarket bracket setup. If you are going to do that you can use a GM 3 wire alternator which is much easier to wire in my opinion.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

What's the difference, John? GM and Ford are both 3-wire (with one wire going to ground). Whichever one he gets, and I really don't have a preference, he will fabricate brackets for.

Another consideration is the pulley. Dan will need to swap pulleys from the setup he has or get another for the new alternator.

Brackets are not that hard to do. If you look at brackets offered, most are nipples cut from 1/2" (trade size schedule-40) pipe for spacers, long bolts and heim rods (available cheap from speedwaymotors.com, like this one for five bucks:

Click on the picture for the Speedway listing.

Mr. Dan, read my answer again for a model of car. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Will this alternator work?

It's a alternator for a 1994-1996 thunderbird and it's a 130 amp alternator with an internal regulator.

Also, any other ideas for a bracket other then the crap bracket? I do not have the additional hole on the block that the 1963 and ups have.

Will the pulley off of my generator fit on the shaft for this slternator

Is this alternator a 1 wire or 3 wire

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Will this alternator work?

There is more than one 352/390 CRAP alternator mounting bracket. The one that has the special bracket to allow attaching the mounting bracket to a 352 block without the extra mounting hole that is in newer 352/390 blocks, is Stock #92264, according to the owner, Larry Gueths. This is a complete mounting kit and includes all the stainless steel mounting hardware necessary plus a special bracket that utilizes the original tapped hole on the side of the block that Ford used, to attach the original generator mounting bracket. For those who have the 352/390 blocks with the additionally drilled hole in the block, you can use Stock #92262 or 92263. If you have any questions, give Larry a call at 815-634-8216, as I just did. Or email him at LARRY@CARCRAP.NET

http://www-link.com/cgi-bin/odbic.ex...lientno=1681.0

I do not know if that alternator will work, or if it is 1 wire or 3 wire, but one of our guys can tell you when they come along and see this post.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Dan.loeb
                  ...Will the pulley off of my generator fit on the shaft for this slternator

Is this alternator a 1 wire or 3 wire
                  This alternator is commonly known as a 6G and commonly used with electric fans. It is a three-wire: Your yellow/bk (GEN light) wire tells the alt that your key is turned on, the power wire goes to a fuse then to your battery, and the third wire is ground. The only other wires you need is the voltage regulator wire which is commonly available at just about all auto parts stores for two bucks (STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part #HP3880).

Normally, if you get a bone yard alt, they simply cut the wires and include all connectors with the alt.

You need a small 'collar' washer that goes behind your alternator's pulley, then it should work just fine. That washer is probably already on the alt if it comes with a pulley. BTW, Chevy generator pulleys work, too. If you only have one belt, use a larger diameter pulley or it will squeal a lot. Large diameter gives the belt more surface to grab and it's easier to turn (like a longer lever). That's why Ford went with double-sheave and serpentine pulleys.

The 6G is an excellent choice. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Looking at craps alternator brackets would it be worth while buying the 89 dollar bracket and drill and helicoil a hole into the block to save the extra 50 dollars for the other 352 bracket for the side bracket?

I have a helicoil kit for a 3/8 bolt. Is there enough meat on the block in the spot where the bolt would need to go to drill into?

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Dec 23 2008

I wouldn't do it. (drill the block)
                      Last edited by Joe Johnston; December 4, 2014, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Dan.loeb, I merged both your alternator threads because they pertain to the same thing.

Alternator mounting amounts to a 'tripod', with two brackets normally holding one end of the alt and the third one is your adjustment.

Sling the alt on the bottom, in place of your generator. That's where I put mine, and I used the same holes that the gen used. For the top adjustment, I used the water pump bolt. Yes, it is very long. So? It's a 5/16" which is plenty large enough to 'steady' the new alternator and tension the belt.

On another application (power steering pump), I made a 'C' bracket that encircled the pump. I bolted the mounting holes to my 'C' then I conveniently drilled holes in my bracket to more easily align with block holes. You can do the same with your alt.

Fabrication only takes a small bit of foresight, a tape measure, and basic steel. My hat goes off to Howard Prout. He fabricated a great firewall bracket for a Squarebird power brake vacuum booster. Once he got the design correct, he made two, had them both chrome plated and is using one. Ray Clark is using the other on his '59 SB. They have been in service for a few years, now.

We would all love to "buy one off the shelf" with the confidence that 'it' will fit. But our cars are fifty yrs-old and few are left. Demand is so low parts are hard to find or they were never made. That's why I bite the bullet and make my own.

My 6G is mounted on my Y-block. It is a three-wire alt and at idle, it puts out enough to run an electric fan in an all day parade as it also keeps my battery up. <--This is the real reason why you need such a huge alt. The supply must always exceed the demand.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Simply, d you have any pics of your bracket you made?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                            ...My 6G is mounted on my Y-block...
                            Originally posted by Dan.loeb
                            Simply, d you have any pics of your bracket you made?
                            I don't, but Charles does. Look at the simple but very effective brackets he made. First of all, he also has a Y-block. These are older engines that had less options than the FEs.

Check out the Sanden A/C compressor he mounted:

If you follow his V-belt, it goes straight down to (you guessed it) an alternator.

The top front bracket is a simple 'tab' of steel mounted to the water pump. The top rear bracket is simply twisted with two holes, mounted on the timing cover. Can you buy them? I don't know why you'd want to. He used existing holes to his advantage and aligned them beautifully. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Ok guys I finally got my 1996 thunderbird alternator 3 wire and have a question regarding the pulley.

The alternator currently has a serpentine pulley and I need to install a v belt pulley. I took the pulley off of the original genenerator but the pulley has an external fan on it. Do I need to purchase a new pulley or modify the stock one? If I need a new one where do I find one online.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎