X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • triple60squares
    Experienced
    • Jan 25 2013

trunk mat and cardboard "liners"

does anyone make repo trunk mats and the cardboard trunk surround liners? and spare tire cover

and wheres a great place to get seat covers and molded carpet i have red leather interrior

for a 60
    60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
    60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
    60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

concoursparts.com seems to have the best selection for the '60 leathers.

They'll have the trunk kits too.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• triple60squares
      Experienced
      • Jan 25 2013

thanks i hope they have a catalog

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

One item at a time:

Q1: Does anyone make repo trunk mats and the cardboard trunk surround liners?
        A1: Yes, but it's all a question about how close to original and the level of quality you want to have. Virtually all '58-'66 T-bird parts vendors have mat sets, and all vendors get them from the same suppliers: the difference is in the materials. Original mats used a material called Burtex, which has a jute backing - this is pricier than the fleece-backed vinyl mats, which do not look the same as the original Burtex mats in that they have a glossy appearance and have a slicker face. As for side boards, the cheapo fleece-backed mats use the same material glued over cardboard, while the original-style printed carboard typically is available with the Burtex-type mat sets.

The Burtex mats are more than likely sourced from Auto Custom Carpets in Alabama(?), and are what I would recommend if going for a better-quality restoration. In short, you get what you pay for, and if you placed the two types side-by-side you'll immediately see the difference.

Q2: Spare tire cover?
        A2: Tire covers were not offered on '58-'60 T-birds from the factory - an accessory tire cover was offered in 1960 through dealers, though. Again, same as above - T-birds parts vendors carry them along with the mat sets.

Q3: Where's a great place to get seat covers? I have red leather interior.
        A3: Again, go through the dedicated '58-'60s T-bird parts vendors - there are a couple of suppliers they get covers from, and for the most part the quality is close-but not quite matches-OEM material. Request samples of upholstery to check for thickness/gauge of material - better-quality sets will use thicker material that's close to OEM. Thunderbird Headquarters makes leather sets and is the source that other T-bird vendors use.

Be aware that leather upholstery patterns in 1960 differ from vinyl patterns in that they use narrow, vertical pleats, and this difference carries through to the door panels, so don't try to chintz on going with vinyl covers only to find out they don't match the door panels in a leather-upholstered car.

Q4: Moulded carpet?
        A4: No moulded carpet was used prior to 1964 in T-birds: carpet comes in individual pieces. Like above, '58-'60 T-bird parts vendors all get from pretty much the same place, Auto Custom Carpets, if they're getting good-quality sets. There are cheaper ones out there but they will not have the correct serge-bound edges and 80/20 Rayon/Nylon blend of closed-loop material. Once, again, you get what you pay for.
        Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
        Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
        Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

Yes... sorry I didnt mention the leather seat covers sorta have to match the rest of the interior. (door panels, kick panels, etc)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

trunk mat and cardboard "liners"

In case you do not know it, most all the Tbird vendors are listed in the Advertisements Forum. Most of them will send you a free catalog, if you call or email them, or order one from their website. You will want to get a good number of catalogs so you can check to see who has the best pricing, and who carries what some of the others don't.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I got my trunk kit from Rock Auto. They have the original Burtex type cheaper than anyone else. They're made by Auto Custom Carpet but are much cheaper than buying directly from them. The quality is the best that I've seen. Yours for a '60 will have a different pattern of course.

John
              Attached Files
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by jopizz
                I got my trunk kit from Rock Auto. They have the original Burtex type cheaper than anyone else. They're made by Auto Custom Carpet but are much cheaper than buying directly from them. The quality is the best that I've seen. Yours for a '60 will have a different pattern of course.

John
                That looks GREAT! I have seen quite a few with wrinkles and not flat, and that´s pretty depressing. But this picture was realy nice. Also thank to Alan for the explanation regarding Burtex and the Jute backing. I have bought, I guess, a cheep version, from Larrys and plan to use it as soon as I got my car painted. I have many times wondered what I can do on the backside to get a flat and better look than those with wrinkles. Meaning: Need to find Jute and see if I can glue it on the backside. Sounds like something that is heavy enough to keep the carpet down.
                Anyone who have a tip of what glue is good? Waterbased Contact glue or spray glue? Or something else?
                sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• partsetal
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 4 2005

I've had great results using velcro attached in spots around the perimeter of the mat and the floor panel. It can then be stretched flat and removed for cleaning or whatever.
                  Carl

Comment

• triple60squares
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 25 2013

if there is no molded carpets how do you keep from getting wrinkles in the carpet when its installed?

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                      Experienced
                      • Jan 5 2008

Originally posted by triple60squares
                      if there is no molded carpets how do you keep from getting wrinkles in the carpet when its installed?
                      Installers at the factory used contact cement for the pieces along the drop at the door, and screws for the floor rugs to hold them in place. I suggest you get a copy of the Body/Trim Assembly Manual for your year of car as it will show and describe in step-by-step detail how it is installed.
                      Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                      Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                      Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Restifier52
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 26 2011

Hey John who's the musician in the family? I noticed the music stand in the background of your beautiful trunk shot. (I'm a drummer meself)
                        Rick
                        1960 HT
                        Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Rick,

I try to play a little guitar. Been trying for about 45 years now. Maybe I'll get good at it someday. It's a shame you're so far away. We've been looking for a good drummer for ages.

John
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• JohnG
                            John
                            • Jul 28 2003

I bought the flooring and side material years back from MACs for my '58 and it was fine and matched the original well. Not long after I bought the spare tire cover and found it a poor match; eventually returned it. I would be curious as to what success others have had in getting a match on all 3 areas.

When I was a kid, my drum set (bass, snare, 2 toms) just fit into the trunk of my Dad's Squarebird, something we were impressed with . . . As I occasionally tell people: "That is a trunk! "

John
                            1958 Hardtop
                            #8452 TBird Registry
                            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                            history:
                            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎