• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rockin Kev
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

Lost Golde

Hi Gang,
    I have some sad news, last month a lose wire or another term used here in England is a HOT WIRE claimed my J code Golde.
    I parked my BABY away in the garage at about midday to only return to my garage about eight hours later when i was informed of my loss by a neighbour.

The sight of my once prized car has left me devistated with a car beyond repair.

To lose a low mile low ownership car is sad but a J code Sunroof that had all the options and more! left a grown man in tears as this car was on the button.

So the moral here is make sure you disconnect your cars battery when you have finished with driving, do not let happen to you what has happen to me.

Kev
    Thunderbirds of England
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

Kev,

that made me sick to my stomach to read your post.
    Unbelievable.

Is it a total loss and was your garage also destroyed?
    I hope you had enough insurance on it to perhaps look for a replacement - however difficult that may be.

I'm sorry to hear about this.
    best wishes.
    Casey

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Lost Golde

Kev, I couldn't even try to understand what your emotions are with this loss of your Golde. Only to say, that as a member it is a sad day to lose such a rare bird. It is hoped that through search , insurance and yet another project, you are able to once again, find the bird of your choice. If I can help out here in Canada please don't hesitate to text me. Sorry for your loss of such a great vehicle.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada

Originally posted by Rockin Kev
      Hi Gang,
      I have some sad news, last month a lose wire or another term used here in England is a HOT WIRE claimed my J code Golde.
      I parked my BABY away in the garage at about midday to only return to my garage about eight hours later when i was informed of my loss by a neighbour.

The sight of my once prized car has left me devistated with a car beyond repair.

To lose a low mile low ownership car is sad but a J code Sunroof that had all the options and more! left a grown man in tears as this car was on the button.

So the moral here is make sure you disconnect your cars battery when you have finished with driving, do not let happen to you what has happen to me.

Kev
      Thunderbirds of England
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your loss. We feel your pain. For car lovers like us, losing our prized car is like losing a member of the family.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

I had a close call with my Golde Top resulting in an engine compartment fire when I first bought it years ago. Luckily, it happened in my presence and I was able to extinguish the fire before any serious damage resulted.

I had remove the horns in order to clean them. I then reinstalled them. A few minutes later, I saw smoke and fire in the engine compartment. It was near the horns and I realized it was electrical. I disconnected the battery and doused the fire with water.

There is very little clearance between the horns on a 1960 and a large bundle of wires that runs right beside them. When I reinstalled the horns, one them was compressing the wiring.

I had to rebuild that section of cable. It was a long job as there are many wires in that cable.

I think I posted this years ago on the newslist, but it bears repeating. The wiring next to horns on a 1960 should be checked periodically. The horns can rub through there. Some of those wires always have current, so a short can occur even when the car is off.

Kevin is right. It is a good idea to disconnect the battery when you park your car. You have nothing to lose. There is no computer to lose its setting, plus it is small theft deterrent.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Wow !!! Very sorry to hear that !
            Bummer, such a rare car. I hope your house is ok.

We had a club member almost lose her 61 Conv with an eng compt fire. (Fuel line) She was driving it at the time. Lucky for her there was a CHP right there to put it out as she pulled off the freeway. Her late husband was the orig owner. She's very upset, plus it scared her. She must be 80. I heard $5000 damage.

Maybe I will discon the battery when it's sitting.
            I'm also considering a solid fuel line.

Bery sorry to hear about your loss.

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Very (mis spell)

Comment

• SandyBoy
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 31 2002

So Sad.

I can imagine my dispair & grief IF I ever lost one of my prized cars, so, I too can sympathize. It's a terrible loss of something you loved and valued. I hope you had insurance. You can always find a new love in Hemmings Motor News.

The best to you.
                Sandy

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 31 2002

Thanks for all your support, this is something i may never get over but have found a real nice 60 convertible to soften the blow.
                  Kev

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Kevin that's great news and although not the same as the Golde at least will take your mind off it. When you get a chance keep us posted when you acquire the 60 and once again bring it back to it's prime.

Dano Calgary, Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 31 2002

New Toy

Ok Gang,
                      I have purchased a 1960 Bird in Aquamarine (paint code c) with a white soft top, and Aqua Leather interior (trim code 85)

Car was restored about 6-7 years ago with everything rebuilt including the motor and trans, all brakes components were re done and the shocks ect all round re done.
                      New soft top 3 months ago and a complete new interior and paint.
                      Car has full power but no air, fender skirts, dress up sunray hubcaps and the usual factory options.
                      The Bird is an eye catcher and i will enjoy the summer in the car then give it my own personal attention to detail over the winter.

kev

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎