Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cwcb08
    Experienced
    • Oct 11 2016

So I got a few min the the garage today before I had to go checkout and make a deal on a new boat ( a '18.5 1979 surf master trihull bow rider with a 140 mercruiser i/o, sold our little fishing boat yesterday ). Hooked up my multimeter between the battery and the chassis and pulled every fuse until the amp draw stopped, its the emergency warning 20A, next is find out where in the circuit is causing this particular problem.
    2016 FORD F150 XLT 3.5 EB SPORT 302a - 2012 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2012 LEGEND DELUXE V-NOSE - 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR600 - 2008 FORD FOCUS SE - 2007 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2002 ARTIC CAT 500 - 1990 JOHN DEERE 265 - 1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD HARDTOP TOWN

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
      Experienced
      • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by Cwcb08
      So I got a few min the the garage today before I had to go checkout and make a deal on a new boat ( a '18.5 1979 surf master trihull bow rider with a 140 mercruiser i/o, sold our little fishing boat yesterday ). Hooked up my multimeter between the battery and the chassis and pulled every fuse until the amp draw stopped, its the emergency warning 20A, next is find out where in the circuit is causing this particular problem.
      There are two relays in the trunk just to the right of your sequential signal light package . These are most likely gone bad . Also, the switch for these relays in the overhead console for the emergency flasher lights is worn out or in the ' on ' position and the light indicator is burnt out .

ps. I have these relays if interested. Previous Bird owner never picked up after I purchased them .

Comment

• Cwcb08
        Experienced
        • Oct 11 2016

I have replaced those relays with 3 Bosch style relays in the early stages of this thread. So it shouldn't be that, not sure if its the flasher relays or brake relay that also buzz when I hit the brakes maybe need a diode in there somewhere or something..

The bulb works it flashes with the hazards. And the switch works to turn the hazards on and off.

Hopefully get to look at it today some more
        2016 FORD F150 XLT 3.5 EB SPORT 302a - 2012 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2012 LEGEND DELUXE V-NOSE - 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR600 - 2008 FORD FOCUS SE - 2007 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2002 ARTIC CAT 500 - 1990 JOHN DEERE 265 - 1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD HARDTOP TOWN

Comment

• Cwcb08
          Experienced
          • Oct 11 2016

So I tried to find an obvious leak in the power steering system but didn't have any luck with the car on the ground so I just topped up the pump res and will deal with it later.

Then I started the car and after it ran for a minute or two disconnected the battery, it instantly died, any suggestions on how to test the alternator/regulator?

I also found out what relay is causing the issue with my 4ways/brake/turn buzzing with the help of my daughter, she worked the brake pedal while i was in the trunk ( car was off just key in the acc position )

Its the stop light relay, with it disconnected the front 4 ways work, the brake and turns also both work, just the rear 4 ways are disabled, now I at least have somewhere to work from.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cwcb08; August 13, 2017, 08:48 PM. Reason: Fixed Picture

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
            Experienced
            • Mar 1 2017

So I tried to find an obvious leak in the power steering system but didn't have any luck with the car on the ground so I just topped up the pump res and will deal with it later.

Then I started the car and after it ran for a minute or two disconnected the battery, it instantly died, any suggestions on how to test the alternator/regulator?

I also found out what relay is causing the issue with my 4ways/brake/turn buzzing with the help of my daughter, she worked the brake pedal while i was in the trunk ( car was off just key in the acc position )

Its the stop light relay, with it connected the front 4 ways work, the brake and turns also both work, just the rear 4 ways are disabled, now I at least have somewhere to work from.

On our '66 , if I activate the four way emergency lights, front and rear flash on and off like they should . If I step on the brake, the emergency lights stop flashing . When I release the brake, they start right up again . Hope this helps . BTW, ours is a convertible so do not have the two extra relays in the trunk .

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Cody always good to have a good helper
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Cwcb08
                Experienced
                • Oct 11 2016

I got looking at the diagrams a little closer and it looks like the relay in question is normally closed where I thought it was normally ope. So I wired it the other way and then the rear 4 ways work ( no front flashers ) but they can not be turned off, agh.

Maybe ill just wire up my spare orange strobe with a cigarette lighter plug to put in the back window if ever required haha
                Last edited by Cwcb08; August 13, 2017, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Cwcb08
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 11 2016

Grrr, so I bypassed the voltage regulator by supplying 12v directly to the field terminal ( just for a few seconds ) on the alternator and my battery voltage came up to 15v so I thought it was the regulator. I replaced that (only 30$ ) and its still not charging unless I jump the F terminal and still dies when I disconnect the battery, looking for suggestions what to try next?

I am also getting 12v on all 3 legs of the regulator, ignition, field & battery so the new regulator is working
                  Last edited by Cwcb08; August 15, 2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It can only be three things; the alternator, voltage regulator or wiring. If you are getting 15V when you jump the regulator then it seems like your alternator is good. Since you replaced the regulator that leaves the wiring. Check it both to the alternator and where it goes through the firewall. Use the schematics in the TRL or shop manual to trace the colors.

John
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Cwcb08
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 11 2016

Well I fixed it, the morons who the PO had do the motor work connectes the alternator wrong, the field and gnd wires were reversed at the alternator, I caught on to it when chasing where the wires go, field should be white at the alt, and gnd was black-red.

Thanks for the reply jopizz I just saw it when I came to post this

I'm glad I bought the digital manual back at the beginning

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Well I fixed it, the morons who the PO had do the motor work connectes the alternator wrong, the field and gnd wires were reversed at the alternator, I caught on to it when chasing where the wires go, field should be white at the alt, and gnd was black-red.

Thanks for the reply jopizz I just saw it when I came to post this

I'm glad I bought the digital manual back at the beginning
                        At least it was an easy fix. Unfortunately you spent money on a new regulator. If you can't bring it back you have a good spare to keep with you anyway.

John

Comment

• Cwcb08
                          Experienced
                          • Oct 11 2016

What is the 4th terminal on the regulator for? Ive seen diagrams online that show something about a dash light? What does that light indicate? Can it be added to my car?

Originally posted by jopizz
                          At least it was an easy fix. Unfortunately you spent money on a new regulator. If you can't bring it back you have a good spare to keep with you anyway.

John
                          I am going to leave the new one installed but will keep the old one in the parts box because I'm not sure if it is dead and a spare of things never hurts

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The "I" terminal wasn't used on cars with ammeters like yours but I don't see any reason why you can't connect a light to it. Here's the schematic from a 1963 Thunderbird showing how it's wired.

John
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Cwcb08
                              Experienced
                              • Oct 11 2016

When does the light come on?

That diagram looks like its wired to the ignition wire?

On mine would it just go from the unused terminal to gnd? Is the resistor required?

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The light would come on when you turn the key to the ON position and go off when the car starts and begins charging. You need 12V on both sides of the light to turn the light off which is why one side is connected to the ignition switch. Just connecting a light to the I terminal won't work. Normally the alternator won't start charging if it doesn't see 12V through the light to the Field terminal which is why the resistor is used. If the light burns out it will still charge. How it's charges without using the idiot light on 64-66 Thunderbirds is a good question. Maybe Dave can chime in on that.

John

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎