Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

These are the close-ups of the trunk insulation material, again 1 with flash on & 1 with flash off:

The black spot is where I hit the insulation some years back with the end of a lawn chair at a car show. It looks just like tar paper in this spot (under the tanish material):

sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Great photos. You can't find these kinds of photos even in the concours rules book. It really shows the material and color.

For someone like me, who has NEVER had acess to looking at another 58-60 T-Bird up close, this is great.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

I found this picture of my trunk before I started tearing up the insulation was black and it was like the roofing material you have talked about
        Last edited by Guest; December 1, 2007, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I have the trunk insulation but not the hood insulation. I seem to remember that Alex said something about a change in mid-year 1960 by Ford in eliminating the hood insulation. I can see the thin insulation between the hood and the inside bracing.

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
            Experienced
            • Mar 31 2004

60 Change

You are correct sometime after the start of production of the 60 bird Ford dropped the tar paper insulation between the 2 halves of the hood and went to blobs of body putty in stategic locations.

As of today no one has taken on the task of documenting when this change occured. Unfortunately it means collecting data on as many 60 birds as can be found and will probably require a couple years to track down the approximate date.

I am currently doing work on 64's but still collect info on 58's when I can.

Good Luck
            Fuz
            58's&64's
            Sun prairie, Wi.
            tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡