No announcement yet.

Opinions Needed. What do you do with a car that has 19K

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed. What do you do with a car that has 19K

This is my delemia. The car has 19,166 miles on it and is mint, and we just took another 1st at AACA in Ill. I dont drive it as if I do and add miles tot he car it does lower the value, I am seriously considering selling the car because of this. I polish it, take it around the block and polish it again. If I wanted to just stare at something i would have bought a peice of crystal and put it in the garage, I am not in a financial position to just collect cars and look at them so I am torn,. I LOVE the car, love to drive the car but want to have fun with a Car like My 1931 MODEL A FORD. which I drive every day.. What do you guys think

Mark

:'(
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Opinions Needed. What do you do with a car that has

I gave up stamp collecting because stamps are now just sold to collectors; they are no longer used for postage. Thunderbirds were built to be driven. Drive and enjoy it.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

I agree with Alexander.
      While these cars are rare and extremely beautiful, they do not demand the kind of money certain muscle cars or other classics do.

I never buy cars as "investments". I buy them to enjoy and work on. If I did buy an investment type vehicle, I probably wouldn't drive it for the reasons you state. These cars, on their best days, aren't worth so much that you should feel like you can't drive them due to depreciation.

I say drive that great car of yours!

With that low mileage, you could put several thousand miles on it a year and still have one of the lowest mileage TBirds around.

Congrats on your recent victories by the way.
      Casey

Comment

• KULTULZ

What you might consider doing is selling the present BIRD for what I am sure will be good money and buy one that can be considered a driver. Of course you are most likely going to see more maintenance with a replacement, but it is an idea.

And I bet you are spoiled by this low mileage car also...

SECOND THOUGHT!

I think I would drive it and enjoy it. It has to be in good mechanical condition and that will allow you to enjoy the car. That's why GOD gave them to us...

Comment

I agree with sell it and buy a driver. I have a 56 Bird that I bought as an investment. I rarely drive it because it is so much work to keep it clean. It spends it's time in the garage covered only to venture out when the weather is perfect! I got the 60 to drive it and I do. If it rains when Im at a cruise I don't have to panic and get the car cover out. Believe me it will add years to your life by getting the driver-LESS STRESS AND MORE FUN!!!!!!!

Comment

you all have grat opinions and i agree that these cars were meant to DRIVE!!! That is why i drive my model A, rain or shine, hmmmm, now to make the decision on weather to sell it, and get a driver car or to enjoy what I have..And YES i am spoiled with the darn low milage and the perfect paint job....
            thanks all
            mark

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine was a little rougher. This was my dad's everyday car for 25 yrs.
              It has aprox 280K on it. When I was a kid we went everywhere in it. It's been to Disneyland twice. Lake Tahoe more times than I can count. Countless Boy Scout trips even to the snow. Note; leave fen/skirts at home for easier roadside chain installation. I'll bet he drove it to Santa Cruz 1000 times. Well maybe not a thousand but several hundered. He was a truck driver. He'd get off work at Permannente at two in the morning and put the top down and drive home . . . at two in the morning. I think as he got older he got tired of it. Pref the newer car with AC. He had skin cancer issues and couldn't really drive with the top down. But he enjoyed that car !!!! And he drove the wheels off it. If you drove up next to him and gave him "the look" the race was on !!! That 390 ran good for basically stock (69 Hi perf Mustang Issue) Would run right along side the R/T Charger I had as a kid. Had to explain to a first date (more than once) who the NUT in the white TBird was.

So I say drive it, enjoy it. It'll still be low mileage. Just be sensable. If you sold it for BIG $$$ and bought a driver, you'd never be satisfied. Prob wind up putting a fortune in it, only to park it in the garage too. Life's too short !!!!

My .02 . . . well 5.00 (sorry)

John Byers

Comment

Thanks John I appreciate that a lot. great story also,.
                mark

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎