X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fuel & Temp Gauge Problems For Debra

Debra, in Colorado, just joined us tonight and here is the problem she found on her '60 2Dr Hardtop. She needs your help.

"I just had a new dash pad installed last week. Now my heat gauge and fuel gauges are not working correctly. I thought maybe they mixed up the two wires. I would like to pull the instrument panel to check it myself but I cannot find any instructions. I have a 1960 2 door hardtop. I may have to take it back to the upholster to fix, but I still would like to know how to do it for future light replacement. Thanks for any suggestions."

I have already suggested that she have them pull the instrument panel, check the CVR input and output voltage and see what she is getting out of it in the way of fluctuating 0-6V. I told her that if that CVR unit is putting out 12V it might have taken out her gauge wiring. However, I do NOT know if she put my email address in her address book and received the email I just sent her. So I am posting this here for ya'll to advise her what to look for and how to troubleshoot this. They might have forgotten to hook up the instruments. Who knows what they might have done or missed.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here is another email from Debra regarding her fuel and temp gauges. These gauges were working fine until she had someone replace her dash pad... Now she has problems. She will probably have them troubleshoot what went wrong, but Debra wants to learn herself what might have cause this problem, and how to fix it if she has to. I have given her quite a bit of advice for things to check. She does have a shop manual and also a wiring diagram. Here is what she said.

"Ok with your help I now understand and did pull off the fuel/heat gauge. I have the service manual, but that never really explained that the bezels pull straight off. According to the wiring diagrams it all looks correct but I'm wondering about the green wires. In the diagrams it looks like the green wire connects the one side of the fuel garage to one side of the heat gauge. Mine appears to have two distinct green wires that go elsewhere. I am assuming to the voltage regulator. Does that seem right? If it is correct then the problem may just be the adjustment, which I read how to do. I have not checked the voltage outputs yet, so that could be the other issue. Yes, my gauges worked correctly when I took it in. I should probably take it back and make them fix it, but I thought I would take the opportunity to learn myself, and fix it if it was simple. Glad to hear there are more women joining the forums. I recently joined a local car club and there are not many women members there either. It's nice when we are welcome and hopefully that will encourage more women to join in. I know I really enjoy driving my old bird and want to take good care of her. Thanks again! Deb"

Deb also sent me a couple of pix of her '60 Squarebird and I will post them in Our Rides for ya'll to see.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The green wire is split into two wires when it comes off the voltage regulator. One goes to the fuel gauge and one to the temp gauge. I don't know if you have a test light or not but if you do and you put it on one of the green wires you should see it blink off and on with the key on. If you get nothing then it may not be connected. If it's solid then the voltage regulator is probably bad. The voltage regulator is on the instrument panel between the fuel/temp gauge and the speedometer. If you put your hand in the fuel/temp opening you can feel it. It should have two green wires on it. Hope this helps.

John
      Last edited by jopizz; May 1, 2012, 06:10 PM.
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Deblib
        Apprentice
        • Apr 30 2012

New shocks

My son helped install all new shocks yesterday. I think the old gal still had the originals, they were pretty crusty. We had to cutoff the bolts to get them off. New ones went on pretty easy though. So now the upholstery guy is supposed to look at the gauge problem he created. Hope it's wiring and not that the voltage regulator gave out! Then my only other problem to tackle is no dash lights. I think that may be the switch because I have replaced all the bulbs. It's weird that the overhead works fine, and the headlights work fine, yet they are all on the same switch.
        Debbie #38435

Comment

• philgarvey
          Apprentice
          • Jul 21 2011

I just got done dealing with this very problem. After putting in new bulbs and changing all the switches, putting everything back together, I had the exact same issue. I put in another new CVR (constant voltage regulator)... but this time I put in a solid state CVR. End of problem. The one I got from one of the vendors( not sure which) was made in China...NG. Also..I was able to pull off the speedo and fuel/temp gauge to reinstall the solid state CVR instead of pulling the entire pannel. You might give that a try if you think the CVR is bad.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Deb! The problem with your dash lights not working could be the rheostat on the light switch, or the dash lights lead not connected to the headlight switch. The subject of patina buildup on the dash lights rheostat is covered in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) under Headlight Switch. One of our members created a detailed breakdown of how that switch works and how to clean that Rheostat. I assume that you have turned the headlight knob left and right to brighten and lower the dash lights.. If you have and you still have no lights, that rheostat might be bad, or just need a good cleaning. That headlight switch has fuses on the back. I do not recall if one of those fuses controls the dash lights or not. If so, you could have a blown fuse. Take a look at the TRL by clicking on the link under my signature.

Comment

• Deblib
              Apprentice
              • Apr 30 2012

Fuel/Temp gauge update

Well the upholster was able to fix his mistake on the gauge yesterday with the technical instructions I took down and help from a guy at the Birds Nest. So now it's showing, correctly, a full tank, and the temp gauge is moving. Apparently they were not as gentle with it when they took it out as they claimed! I will have to drive it a little more to see how it registers when warmer. Thanks for the advice on the dash lights. I will tackle that next. Right now I have to get my 1930 Model A ready for the summer and to use at a funeral next week. She's in good shape for 82, just needs an oil change.
              Debbie #38435

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Good Morning, Deb, and I am glad to hear that they were able to figure out what they got wrong when they put things back together, and got the gauges working again. Wow! You own a 1930 Model A! From what you said about her, she is doing good for being 82! If you would like to post a picture of her post it in the Our Rides Forum. Although she is not a Tbird, I am sure the guys and gals would enjoy seeing what an 82 year old Model T looks like!

Comment

• Deblib
                  Apprentice
                  • Apr 30 2012

1930 Model A

I will email you the picture because I haven't figured out how to post them yet! I am a lucky girl with two classic Fords, but I could use a bigger garage!
                  Debbie #38435

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Deb, I received the Model A pic and will post it shortly in the Our Rides Forum. As for posting pix here on our server, as a Paid Member, when you create a post, as I am doing here, and you want to post a picture, just slide down below this posting box. As you take your mouse and move the slider on the far right side down the page you will go below the box and see Additional Options. One of them is Manage Attachments. Click on it to upload pictures and it will take you through the uploading procedures. Keep your pix to something at 800x600 or less. There are also file size limitations for the various file types that can be uploaded to our server. When you get a chance try it out.

I just added your 1930 Model A pic to your 1960 Tbird post for ya.
                    Last edited by YellowRose; May 23, 2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎