Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • askiles
    • May 19 2015

'61 T Bird Custom 2 1/2" Flowmaster Exhaust

Hey guys! Just wanted to post a few pics of the awesome custom exhaust I just had made for me on the '61 T Bird. I had them bend me up some 2 1/2" tubing into a pair of Flowmaster Super 44's dumped right before the axle. Anyways, enjoy!!

Last edited by askiles; June 12, 2015, 03:20 PM. Reason: Tried to fix your pix...
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Hi Andy, I must admit its location is different & looks neat.
    But what's going to happen to the exhaust vapours especially when stationary & with the windows down?

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I like his 'H' pipe. The guy did a nice job. I would go for another mounting hanger on each side if it were my car. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• askiles
        • May 19 2015

I was impressed with his work. The exhaust is super solid, you can grab it and hang from it. I think another hanger would be over kill. Sure it wouldn't hurt, but is not necessary.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Let me be more specific. My Mustang has hangers on the 'H' pipe, then downstream at the Flowmasters. Believe it or not, your 2-½" exhaust system is heavy and five years from now it will be quite different. Been there. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• askiles
            • May 19 2015

bird 60, it was a concern of mine, but hasn't at all been a problem. It must exit far enough back that it is not noticeable in the passenger compartment.

simply, my 2012 Mustang doesn't have hangers until the mufflers behind the axle. So all the way from the manifolds, past the x-pipe, over the axle, then mufflers, with 2 hangers there. Solid. ...and at this point it is all 3" exhaust. The exhaust hangers are neoprene not rubber, so I don't imagine over time they will sag more than they do now.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Here is a standard bolt-on replacement for my 2-½" system:
              <--"from the Cats back."

Here is my "H" pipe (that bolts on between my headers and exhaust pipe):
              <--notice serious hangers. That's the way Ford did them and that's the way aftermarket companies follow, for a total of six hangers.

Check out how Magnaflow does their Mustang turndowns:
              Again, this is for the same Mustang. Notice that they only weld on the ends of the mufflers. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• askiles
                • May 19 2015

Yeah the upper exhaust is from the SN95 body style...they had 6 cats on some of those early ones as well. **** The lower is how my 2012 is as well. They are only after the axle, at the muffler. The T Bird's exhaust doesn't go that far. If I went over the axles I would have 1 more set of hangers after the axle for that pipe for sure.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎