No announcement yet.

newbie question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie question

Hi there. I 'm new to the boards anf the fairlne we bought. I am looking for some input that the shop manual just doesn't show and parts that I am finding are non-existant.

We have a 59 Fairlane 500 w/ a 292 and 2 speed auto. We just purchased a rebuilt starter and "flo through" I think it's called, engagment gear for the flywheel. I can't figure out how to mount it to the starter and cannot find an anchor pin to keep it on. Has anyone dealt with this at all? thanks for any advise. The manual is terrible for this particular piece.

Matt

RE: newbie question

Hi Do you have the washers and bendix spring? today it's the starter drive. You have to compreese the spring to put the pin in. That's if my memory isn't all the way gone. Good luck.................Bill

Comment

thanks for the response. I had to buy all of the parts separately so I am assembling this for the first time. What kind of pin will work? Kotter? Several companies I called don't sell it and sugested this.

thanks
      Matt

Comment

I think there is a hole in the end of the starter shaft (Am i right)???? I'd call it a roll pin. you push the spring down slide it in release the spring and it can't come out. I could be totally wrong That's a couple years ago. Good luck ..........Bill

Comment

Hi ' there's a starter on ebay that's ending in 1 day and 2 hours right now. It's under tbird parts. There are no bids and it starts at 9.99. The only problem is shipping. I think the starters are the same up to 61 or 2 At least it's in one piece. (must have the pin) Just a thought................Bill

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will check that out. We may go in a new direction. I found a couple of 460 and tranny combos for sale locally. Any one do that swap?? I have found the motor mount and tranny crossmember kits.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎