• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Restifier52
    Experienced
    • Jul 26 2011

Right Under My Nose

Hi all,

Having driven almost 1000 miles on my new wheels and tires including numerous acceleration runs and attempted burnouts I must say I feel like a very lucky man. In order to install the CalTracs I recently received I of course removed the rear wheels. This is the first time they've been off since installation which was done with me watching from a respectful distance of 10 feet or so. Upon removing the hubcaps I was astonished to see the ends of my axle studs at least 1/4" recessed into my lug nuts. I thought I liked this shop but I can't abide this kind of failure to observe a basic safety issue.
    So anyway, good luck, no harm to man or machine but I need longer studs. 1 1/2" longer or so is what I hope to get. The closest the local auto parts stores have gotten is Dorman p/n 610-444 Ford OE 1L2Z1107AB which only gives me another 1/2" of threads and is a few thousandths larger in diameter in the shoulder. Is this going to be the best I can do or does someone know of a longer one? Thanks.
    Rick
    1960 HT
    Thunderbird Registry #35780
  • Restifier52
    Experienced
    • Jul 26 2011

Well, using the Summit search function has shown me a few things. I just realized that if I put 3" studs in the axle I would probably have to drop the leaf spring to change the tire.
    1960 HT

Comment

• KULTULZ

They should have at the least mentioned the studs were too short.

Comment

• Restifier52
        Experienced
        • Jul 26 2011

It looks like Moser 8250 is going to be my best bet.
        1960 HT

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Modern Formula 1 cars only have 2 1/2 rev of thread
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• cdhowell
            Apprentice
            • Jun 15 2011

If the threads engaged were at least the diameter of the stud, you should be fine.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Wheel stud threads have to be completely covered by the retaining nut as when torqued the threads will stretch and the nut cannot maintain the needed torque possibly resulting in a nasty and expensive failure.

They were wrong to not bringing this to your attention before releasing the car.

I could understand them releasing the car as is (if proper replacement parts were non-available quickly) to allow you to take it home but the customer has to be informed (and is most likely contrary to any state inspection law).

Had the fasteners failed and the defect proven, it would have made one heck of a law suit.

I would never trust them again.

Comment

• lawyercalif
                Experienced
                • May 12 2011

Originally posted by Restifier52
                Hi all,

The closest the local auto parts stores have gotten is Dorman p/n 610-444 Ford OE 1L2Z1107AB which only gives me another 1/2" of threads and is a few thousandths larger in diameter in the shoulder. Is this going to be the best I can do or does someone know of a longer one? Thanks.
                Rick
                You said the threads were 1/4 inch inside the lug nuts. A 1/2 difference will get you 1/4" past the lug nuts. Anything past that is a waste so what is wrong with using the ones with a 1/2" difference?

Comment

• Restifier52
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 26 2011

Originally posted by lawyercalif
                  You said the threads were 1/4 inch inside the lug nuts. A 1/2 difference will get you 1/4" past the lug nuts. Anything past that is a waste so what is wrong with using the ones with a 1/2" difference?
                  I was thinking to get longer than necessary to insure myself against having to change them again if I got another set of wheels/tires in the future. And I have seen drag cars with the studs well out from the lugs though I admit I don't know exactly why they do that. It's a moot point after I realized I'd never be able to get the wheel off without dismantling most of the rear suspension. I'm not quite ready to do the Dakota Boy wheelwell
                  1960 HT

Comment

• KULTULZ

in the nhra rulebook it is stated as:

the thread engagement on all wheel studs to the lug nut, or lug bolts to wheel hubs, must be equivalent to or greater than the diameter of the stud/bolt. length of the stud/bolt does NOT determine permissibility.

( a 7/16" stud must be thoroughly engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a minimum of 7/16")
                    From- http://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racin...hra-legal.html

Also-

Dorman gives auto repair professionals and vehicle owners greater freedom to fix cars and trucks by focusing on solutions first.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 30 2009

We went to a huge "car party" out in the country last night. The guy had a concrete "burn-out pit" and a water hose nearby.... 60's band playing, food, roasted pig, beer, and a couple huge mud trucks ripping through the swamp in the back of the property. Hay rides for the kids. Lots of old cars on display.

Lets just say that the Hurst Roll Control (line lock) worked very nicely when I took the car to the burnout area....
                      Both kids were in the car at the time, and they were pretty charged-up afterwards. Smoke was still emanating from the interior when we parked it afterwards. Bits of rubber all over the back end. Oh well. Tires are supposed to be replaced every 5 or 6 years, right?

Even the wife was impressed. Amazing!
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• davidmij
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 17 2011

Would have been sweet to that Purple Chevy Eater sitting there spinning up smoke! You should have gotten a video of that.
                        Or maybe this guy running through the swamp.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Restifier52
                          Experienced
                          • Jul 26 2011

Wow! Sure would like to know more about THAT vehicle.
                          1960 HT

Comment

• davidmij
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 17 2011

Rick, I've had that picture for some time now and don't remember where I found it. However a google of "thunder-ranchero" turned up this old link. http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/06/e...under-monster/

Dave J

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎