X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

Side windows

I got my side windows reinstalled last weekend and I had some observations to pass on. I must say they are very nice and quiet with the new fuzzies in the tracks. I also redid the vent windows and sincerely appreciate the suggestions on the rivets. I used a drift in a vise to make my anvil to back them and used a piece of tape to hold them in place. 10 minutes to do them all once you have a process.

1st, the front arm roller is difficult. You can either raise the window high and use 2 screwdrivers to get that arm pin inserted or lower the window and remove the rear short track to give some movement to the front arm. The regulator doesn't allow clearance to just flex the arm back and push the pin in. I put the roller on the arm and worked it to start the roller on the track from the rear direction.

2nd, as several have mentioned silicon spray is needed on the fuzzies to allow the windows to move freely. It's like magic!
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

James:
    I have not been fortunate enough to get to the point of reinstalling my windows, so this is a little hard to follow. Are you putting the rollers on the regulator pin and then trying to install the roller in the sliding slot? I think the rollers should be installed in the regulator slot first and then when the window is inserted, the rollers can be slipped over the pins and they will lock in place. If you are already doing this and there is not enough room perpendicular to get the pin inserted, then I will also have problems. The way the rollers are constructed, they should flex pretty much against the spring that holds the beveled washer in place.
    Just had another thought. If you have the door glass installed in the front and rear guides, there is not much play. I would try removing the rear door guide and then slide the window out of the front guide. This should allow the glass to be tilted enough get the pins inserted in the rollers. Once inserted, you can reinstall the glass in the guides.
    Let us know how you do.
    Nyles
    Last edited by Tbird1044; September 11, 2014, 12:28 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Astrowing
      Experienced
      • Jul 22 2009

On the rear arm, I did install the roller in the sliding slot and then insert the arm pin and push the spring clip into place as you would expect. That one is easy. On the front arm, I installed the roller on the arm first and slipped the spring clip into place. Because I disengaged the front arm from the short track (held to the inside of the door with 2 bolts) located 2/3 back on the door, I was able to then slide the roller into the rear end of the sliding slot. There is not enough inboard clearance with the window in a lower position to clear the regulator and insert the arm pin into the roller with it installed into the sliding slot.

You can't do much with the front track as the vent window pretty much fixes its location and it absolutely has to go in first. You won't be able to get the rear track installed with the glass in place as it would need to move forward in order to get the bolts inserted into the edge of the door.
      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• partsetal
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 4 2005

Another way to do it is to remove the bolts holding the regulator, remove the short channel and lift the roller pins above the door. In this position you can engage the rollers that have been installed in the window frame. Best to have a helper for this. After you feed the assembly through the door there is another challenge in re-installing the regulator. I prefer this method when equipped with power windows.
        Carl

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎