X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Starter

Mark once you have the unit back let us all know what the verdict was. I suspect, as you mentioned, due to the low mileage and NON USE re starting that the overhaul is needed
    Mine used to clunk B4 starting but that was definitely the detent plate not connecting properly, which Alexander solved with his prototype which I had installed.

Dano Calgarey, Alberta,Calgary
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• 6TB1RD
      Experienced
      • Apr 9 2006

I had the same problem with my 352 in my 1960, come to find out I had to replace my fly wheel (flexplate) (it had 1 bad tooth on it) now the sad part was I had just rbuilt the engine and installed it the week before, I droped the Tranny insted of pulling the engine back out, no more cutting cost for me.
      George (Papa of 9)
      1960 H/T :rolleyes:
      Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 6TB1RD
        I had the same problem with my 352 in my 1960, come to find out I had to replace my fly wheel (flexplate) (it had 1 bad tooth on it) now the sad part was I had just rbuilt the engine and installed it the week before, I dropped the Tranny instead of pulling the engine back out, no more cutting cost for me.
        OH now that is some great news...
        Lets hope it is the starter and the e Bendix

Comment

Update

Well good and bad... The car was dead yesteday..No spin nothing, They put a heavy duty charger on and BAM>>>>>the car started in an instant...and started today in an instant..So NEW PROBLEM....something is draining the battery/.......where do we start

Comment

Originally posted by msmaron1
            Well good and bad... The car was dead yesteday..No spin nothing, They put a heavy duty charger on and BAM>>>>>the car started in an instant...and started today in an instant..So NEW PROBLEM....something is draining the battery/.......where do we start
            You could install a battery cut off switch, or parkit at night with a trickle charger on it. They sell a gizmo that claims to always keep yer battery at full charge (from its solar charger).

Only other thing is to get out yer multimeter and start looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Travlin
              You could install a battery cut off switch, or park it at night with a trickle charger on it. They sell a gizmo that claims to always keep yer battery at full charge (from its solar charger).

Only other thing is to get out yer multimeter and start looking.
              The funny thing is i HAD a trickle charge on it for a long time and she was still dead as a doornail... So i think it is more than that... Where to begin i have no idea...maybe this is one for the mechanic?
              Mark

Comment

The funny thing is i HAD a trickle charge on it for a long time and she was still dead as a doornail... So i think it is more than that... Where to begin i have no idea...maybe this is one for the mechanic?
                Mark
                Just out of curiousity -- how old is the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Travlin
                  Just out of curiousity -- how old is the battery?
                  Antique Auto Battery just got that sucker about 6 months ago maybe 8
                  what are you thinking here?
                  m

Comment

Antique Auto Battery just got that sucker about 6 months ago maybe 8
                    what are you thinking here?
                    m
                    Now that you mentioned it, I remember you talking about the "new battery" a few months back. I doubt that's your problem, but ya never know.

I did some checking in the 1958 Ford Manual, and while there are a bunch of different tests for the starter circut, I'll cut to the chase based on your previous posts on the initial problem. Try replacing the starter relay.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

Change the starter. The bendex (starter drive) too. Just hook a meter up while the car is sitting there and see if you have a power draw. If you need a starter, call Mike at Allied Auto parts in Fremont,Calif. 800 813 1020 That guy could pull a rabbit out of a hat !!! He'll ship it. If he says he won't, tell him John said "Or Else!!!!" Naa really . . . he's a good guy. Knows his parts.

Starters and solenoids are cheap. Not worth guessing.
                      I also run the biggest, highest cranking amp 27-60 series battery that will fit in that tray. I have battery tenders (Mostly for the motorcycles). The TB has only been out of the garage once in the last 3 mo's. So I hook it up once a week for a few days.

John

Comment

Update

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                        Change the starter. The bendex (starter drive) too. Just hook a meter up while the car is sitting there and see if you have a power draw. If you need a starter, call Mike at Allied Auto parts in Fremont,Calif. 800 813 1020 That guy could pull a rabbit out of a hat !!! He'll ship it. If he says he won't, tell him John said "Or Else!!!!" Naa really . . . he's a good guy. Knows his parts.
                        John
                        OK this is what we found out yesterday, there were some loose wires by the starer solenoid...
                        Turn the key,,,bam..she starts, let it sit all day and had to jump the car again, now keep in mind it is 5 below here...but that really should not matter,.,
                        Anyways the starter., Dont you think it would be just as easy to have the starter cleaned, re-wound AND replace the Bendex??? So what that is telling me is that there is a a major draw on the battery, can a bad starter do that??
                        I await your follow up!
                        mark

Comment

OK this is what we found out yesterday, there were some loose wires by the starer solenoid...
                          Turn the key,,,bam..she starts, let it sit all day and had to jump the car again, now keep in mind it is 5 below here...but that really should not matter,.,
                          Anyways the starter., Dont you think it would be just as easy to have the starter cleaned, re-wound AND replace the Bendex??? So what that is telling me is that there is a a major draw on the battery, can a bad starter do that??
                          I await your follow up!
                          mark
                          Personally, I'd have the starter completely tested before I had any additional work done on it. Why pay for something you don't need?

According to the book, the solenoid (starter relay) can be the cause of your drain, which was why I suggested replacing it. And based on the symptoms you've described -- that's the direction the book points to -- replacing the solenoid. Keep in mind -- For the starter to get juice, the solenoid has to be energized.

If you don't have a shop manual, I'll gladly post all the pages from mine that cover the starter circut tests.

As for the drain, anything electrical can cause a drain under the right circumstances Mark, and since solenoids ARE cheap, I'd replace it if for nothing else then to scratch it off the list of suspects.
                          Last edited by Guest; February 16, 2007, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Just thought of one. You no how the brain gets cramps once in a while! My grandmother had a 62 fairlane that kept pulling the battery down, and it was the brake light switch, not enough to light the lights but enough to pull the battery down.
                            Drove me nuts.

Comment

I Think We Got It!!!!

Ok your gonna love this one., Found out today that my 1 YEAR old battery from Antique Auto Battery was "DRY" Yup DRY, had to order fluid for it...So i have been charging a "drained" maintenance free battery.... Lets here the thoughts on that one??
                              mark

Comment

• JohnG
                                John
                                • Jul 28 2003

dry battery??

hi Mark
                                You got my curiosity! You have a maintenance free battery that was supposed to have acid added to it??? That sounds bizarre but I am no battery expert.

In days gone by when we got new Yuasa batteries in the motorcycle shop, they came empty and we added acid then charged them for a reasonable time as adding the acid along only left them about 50% charged. Same thing if you got a JC Whitney battery by mail.

If yours was DRY then I have no idea how you got any energy out of it at all.

Were there any instructions with it?? I know you paid alot of money for it and hope you end up with a good battery, long term.
                                John
                                1958 Hardtop
                                #8452 TBird Registry
                                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                                history:
                                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎