Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borbon26
    • May 8 2012

new member needs help windows dont work

I just found out that my 1960 t-bird does not have any fuses. There is numerous electrical problems, but im just wondering where the inline fuses would be for the 4 connectors that are in the center console that work all windows. I tested the plugs and there is no juice to those plugs. Any help would be great.Also it has been a challenge to get this car to the state that it is today got it running perfectly but the revers don't work hoping i don't have to drop the tranny. Im here in Sacramento Ca and if anyone needs anything body shop related i would certainly help you out.
    Thanks
    Mario B.
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

Take a look at the link, which is also accessed thru this Site's Technical Resource Library. There is a Main Relay on the firewall in the engine compartment in front of the passengers seat, then circuit breakers at each motor.

Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Charles Nix
      Apprentice
      • Apr 5 2012

Had a similar problem - wouldn't shift out of low - on my 60 and found that the vacuum lines to the modulator on the tranny were all eaten up. replaced them all and car shifts perfectly now.

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

There are fuses. Just not together..... Some are "somewhere" under the dash. Best is to follow the wire from the switch.
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• lawyercalif
          Experienced
          • May 12 2011

As was stated previously, the main relay is under the hood on the passenger side firewall. If I am not mistaken, there are also four relays inside the car one for each motor. On the 59 I found them under the kick panels and under the rear arm rests on the floor. Mine had been bypassed in the past and my motors were wired direct.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Power wires are yellow. They start on the battery-side of the starter solenoid and branch off. One goes to a circuit breaker just above the transmission at the firewall. This one feeds your windows (and convertible top if you have one).

Another yellow wire continues through the firewall to the headlight switch. Three fuses are right there. Two on back of the headlight switch and another in a separate holder, next to it. These service the dash, lights, etc.

Depending on year, electric windows may have individual circuit breakers on the Ground Wire coming from each motor. The up/dn switches don't carry armature current, just field current (to keep wire sizes small).

Give a specific example of what you're looking for and we can walk you through it. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• borbon26
              • May 8 2012

Its almost 10;30 PM here and is nice and kool it was a hot one today here Ina Sac,i printed the wiring diagram that should be a great help will see what i can find. Thanks to everyone.
              Mario B.

Comment

• borbon26
                • May 8 2012

Thanks Dave il see how much these little rats ate under the dash.

Comment

• borbon26
                  • May 8 2012

I had a feeling that there was going to be some wires that were damaged by rats and sure enough on the drivers side firewall, under the hood latch there is a hole where the main wiring goes in there was a yellow wire,a small red wire pigied to a big red wire and the 2 wires for the stop lights were broken and arching on the fire wall. I have juice to all 4 windows now, the rear windows only move like 5% they stop almost right away when i try and open them and the door windows dont move i just hear a noise inside the door,im wondering if i may have to take the motors out of each window to service them in some way. I replaced one fuse under the dash it was incased in a black fuse holder its near the ignition. One question that i have is how are the fuses in the wiring,what do they look like? what do i look for? I took the panel off the dash on the drivers side i would like to fix anything else that might have problems under there.
                  I better go home i have to come back here early morning any more help is appreciated good night.
                  Mario Borbon.

Comment

• borbon26
                    • May 8 2012

Administrator quote

Another yellow wire continues through the firewall to the headlight switch. Three fuses are right there. Two on back of the headlight switch and another in a separate holder, next to it. These service the dash, lights, etc.

I did check both fuses on the headlight switch they were ok the one in the black fuse case was blown i replaced it.
                    thanks.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 30 2009

The rear windows give everyone fits at first.

run a search for some of my postings regarding the rear "quarter windows".
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎