Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    • Dec 21 2013

winshield and rear window replacement

I had my 60 ht striped and repainted. I need to know if I put the windshield gasket on the glass first and then insert into the opening or if I put the gasket on the opening first and then insert the glass. I need to do front and rear glass.
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Usually vehicles using a rubber seal require it to be on the glass before installing in the car. Check and study your Shop manual.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Walter, you absolutely need a 1960 Ford Thunderbird Shop Manual. They are THE #1 tool in your box, still in print and sold by many Thunderbird vendors (as well as eBay). The cost is low, too. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

I'm in the same spot regarding putting in the windows. I've read the manual and understand the basics, using rope to do the install, but what I am not sure about, is if additional sealers are needed inside the w/s rubbers. I've seen different opinions regarding this. Thinking I may leave this one up to the professionals, since a new windshield is about $550.
        Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

They did not use additional liquid sealer at the factory but you can if you're fast enough. This is a two-person job. Yes, experience helps a lot.

Basically, both guys set the glass WITH the moulding and rubber intact. One guy reaches inside and pulls on the ropes while both guys slap the glass into position. You may use a third hand to pull the rope out from inside the car.

This slapping procedure is important. I needs to be hard enough so that the glass 'beds' itself both in the rubber AND the rubber centers around the sheet metal body. If slapped too hard, of course the glass will break, but that is unusual. The rope simply pulls the rubber 'lip' over the body metal while the slapping process sends vibrations which seats it all together.

I saw one yahoo at a glass place, cutting the flange off the moulding. He didn't realize the stainless goes into the rubber BEFORE the glass is set. It's in the Shop Manual.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎