Meet my survivor

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet my survivor

Hello all!
    I thought I would share my story of a 1962 T-Bird survivor. Recently, a friend asked me to help her brother take care of some cars/trucks he desperately needed to move from his long time apartment parking. Imagine my surprise when I found a 1962 T-Bird that has not run since 1984! I was just out of high school in 1984! We towed it to my place and I started looking it over. There several issues, but really didn't take too long to get running again. I replace the water and fuel pump, cleaned and rebuilt the carb and replaced some water and vacuum hoses. Unfortunately it lost reverse, but other than that seems to start and run better each time I start it. I am sure everyone will want to see pictures. I also have some videos - you can see them here.

http://photobucket.com/albums/t583/Ted_Stehr/62 T Bird

Here are a few photos:

http://photobucket.com/albums/t583/Ted_Stehr

By the way, I am in Vancouver, BC. We don't get a lot of snow here so there isn't much salt. But the humid air in the winter can cause issues like chrome pitting.

Finally, I need to decide whether to sell it for him or keep it. I am thinking it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Thanks for this great resource!
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Welcome to Squarebirds.org, Ted. I looked at your videos and I have to admit, the car looks VERY good.

I don't understand if you will buy this car or if you are helping someone else. If you have the means to buy and store this beautiful garage find, by all means do it.

Chrome, paint, soft interior parts, rubber, and plastic lenses all deteriorate somewhat but they are also available at many of our parts vendors. Non-reproduced chrome parts can be re-chromed to look even better than new. It only takes money.

If you are to own this car, congratulations on a great car that will turn heads as you cruise around any town.

BTW, I hope Vancouver Canucks's Roberto Luongo comes back soon after that glorious 2-1 win over the Winnipeg Jets. The Wings have some sorting out to do here in Detroit. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It looks to be in surprisingly good condition. I don't even see any cracks or sags in the dash pad which usually always go bad. As for losing reverse it may just need the filter cleaned and fresh fluid put in. Also the vacuum modulator may have gone bad or the vacuum line feeding it may have deteriorated. If you are into classic cars that looks to be a great candidate to restore. I hope you decide to keep it.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Survivor Guilt

Thanks John and Dave.
        I have an option to buy - probably about $2000. It should be an easy decision, but a few things complicate it. Earlier this year I bought a beater 58 Chev Panel. I put a lot of time and money into it and it is now a great runner and fun to drive around. But it was nowhere near what this car is - and frankly never will be.
        The problem is I don't have a good place to work on it - only a carport with a asphalt floor that is not level or flat. I was a mechanic back in the 80s so the technical part is ok, but, obviously, I don't want it to rust away.
        So I need to sell the Panel at a decent price to fund this, and come up with a storage option.

Thanks again for your input. John, I will drop the pan today and see if I can resurrect reverse!

Ted

Comment

Transmission

By the way John, I read an earlier thread you posted and did check the modulator. I pumped a vacuum gauge on it and it held. I replaced the hose to be safe. It was in reverse under load when it went, so I am thinking it is not the rear servo. I also have first gear, so I don't think it is the servo or band. But you know how it is - speculation runs wild until you take the pan off!

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Tedstehr
            ...speculation runs wild until you take the pan off!
            Ain't that the truth. You may find something easy to fix after agonizing over it for weeks. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Broken band

After removing the valve body and rear servo, I discovered the problem. The rear band is partially broken. I am thinking it is flexing enough when the servo is applied to not hold the carrier.
              I am considering bending it back as close as possible and welding it together. I am thinking it is steel so it should be okay. If I could source a band I would pull the transmission and replace it. Any advice?

Here is a picture:
              http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/Te...btymw.jpg.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

No, I would not weld it. There are many transmission parts places on the net. They usually re-line bands. Yours has seen its day.

CLICK HERE for one of the transmission parts places. ID your transmission, first. If you don't know how, CLICK HERE. Then, call them (or ask a transmission shop in your town, where you can buy parts). Most of the local places are happy to help anyone with a classic car. Some of the old timers may have a band laying around.

If you keep your trans fluid level up, bands usually last over 100k miles because the fluid bath spreads the heat. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Meet my survivor

Assuming that your tranny has not been replaced since it left the factory, you should find that, it being a 1962 Tbird, it has a PCE Medium Case tranny in it, instead of a PBL tranny for the Squarebirds 352 engine, or the PBB-AG for the 430MEL engine. You should see, if it has not been removed, a plate on the drivers side of the case that says PCE followed by some other numbers. I will upload some pix that show the case sizes for the various size trannys. According to the link that Dave posted, the only 390 on that list for the 1961-1962 Tbird is a Medium Case which measures 10 7/32". You will need to give that information on that tag IF it is still in place on the tranny, to those you are gonna order parts from. If that tag is NOT on the tranny still, look and write down all the stamped information you see on the case. Those codes will tell you what tranny it is. Good luck and let us know what you find out regarding which model tranny it is. Here are the pix and if you look at the second one, lower right corner, you will see it says "Beginning with 1961 production" and shows PCE on the tag for the tranny code, probably followed by some other numbers. Write it all down..
                  Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Too late?

Sorry Dave, I am afraid I can't do that! I read your post too late. I had a friend come over and weld the band. My welding is inconsistent, especially under a car. I was already planning on getting a new band, but I thought I would do this in the mean time. I agree that the heat was probably hard on the friction material, but I am am not driving it much anyway so this will be an interesting experiment.
                    Thanks for your case ID info Ray. I will need it.
                    I was unable to test it because the pan gasket I got is wrong. On the Felpro site it says it is the correct gasket for the 62, but the one for the 65 actually looks closer except for one extra hole. I will see if I can find some tags.
                    I will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. On Monday I'll contact Fatsco and NW Transmission for the band and OH kit.
                    I am looking forward to assembling it off the car next time - getting the valve body in place was a challenge.

Thanks all for your help, onwards and upwards tomorrow!

Picture of welded band:
                    http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b1c2f42.jpg
                    Last edited by Guest; December 29, 2013, 12:01 AM. Reason: Added Ray's name

Comment

Reverse!

Just sealed it up and filled it with type F. Seems to work fine with no strange noises or smells. And I have reverse! I even booted it in reverse to see if it would hold. If it is going to break I would rather have it happen here.

Dave, I am going to monitor the fluid quality and smell. I am hoping to get a new band anyway but hopefully that will be a summer project. It is mild here (41' and drizzling,) but not pleasant in an open carport.

And I made my mind up to buy the car.

Thanks all for help and support!

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Glad to hear that you've decided to buy it. It only seems just considering how much work you've put into it so far.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Glad you are buying the car, as it looks very good.

You can probably weld the band but I wouldn't. If the band is heat treated (like spring steel), that's gone after welding. Another concern is, bits of steel or slag. Some things can be repaired, and I do. Transmission and engine parts, no. I know you're up there in BC but bands are so cheap, it isn't worth the risk. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Agreed Dave. It will be good to go through the entire transmission including bands. Everyone focusses so much on the engine, e.g. oil changes every 5000, and can overlook the precise hydraulic controls in auto transmissions.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Transmission oil is in a much more friendly environment than motor oil. Even so, all that band and clutch fibre material has got to go somewhere. The filter material isn't that fine, either. Many transmissions go to their graves with the original filter.

Now we come to the valve body, tiny bearings, etc. These components work until catastrophic failure, usually caused by little or no maintenance over time. Then, they get fixed and the owner starts adding up the money he's putting into the car. (That band split didn't happen over night, but you (the next owner) have to deal with it.)

My point to everyone is, change your motor oil AND change your trans fluid AND change your rear end gear lube AND change your brake fluid on all of your cars. Don't forget to change antifreeze before the anti-corrosion goes away, or lime deposits will collect and clog your cores.

Take your starter motor out, look at the brushes and clean the housing up. A new set of four brushes cost US$3.50 but a new starter costs fifty bucks +core deposit at Rockauto.com (they only have one left).

You guys in the South have a reputation for having great car bodys but worn out powertrains, because your weather is real nice and it's easy to put things off for 'just a little while longer'. Us Snowbirds really can't work on cars in the bitter cold, so we're forced to do our maintenance just before and after winter, or we get stuck and pay a high-priced mechanic to do it in his heated garage. Believe me, when the temperature drops to 'bitter cold', your hands don't work and steel wrenches exacerbate the problem. (Electrical tape doesn't work, forget spray painting, most glues and RTVs don't work, etc.)

There. I feel much better, now. Ted, you're a good man. Keep up the good work. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎