X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

1960 Dash Trim-Wiring

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help with my trim problems. A special thanks to Ray for sending me the pics.

Another problem I have run into is the wiring for the dash. It does not match up colour wise to the manual but I did figure it out except I seem to have 2 extra dash lights and have not got a clue as to where they go. One seems to be long enough to go over to the heater control area and the other one (a different colour blue wire) seems to be only for the left hand side of the dash. Anyone happen to have a true wiring diagram other than the one in the repair manual?

Hey Steffan,
    I think they may be the ones that go behind the ignition, headlights. The other goes behind the wiper switch, lighter.
    Let me know if that helps or not.
    On Christine I made sure nothing was touching any metal and hooked up battery. When thru everything and labeled it. I had to fix me a ground wire, touch bulb socket and figure out what it went to!
    Here's the mess I had on Christine and the finished product!
    Richard D. Hord
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; November 17, 2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by Steffan
      Anyone happen to have a true wiring diagram other than the one in the repair manual?
      A wiring diagram for 1960 TBirds is posted in the "Squarebird Technical Resources" thread under "Techincal Resources Library" http://users.wpi.edu/~goulet/TBird/60wiring_diagram.jpg
      Last edited by Howard Prout; November 18, 2009, 08:09 AM. Reason: correction
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Steffan
        Apprentice
        • Jan 29 2007

Hi Richard, thanks for the pics. My wiring mess lookes even worse than what you had. For the most part my repair manual has helped with the wiring other than the wire colors are different. I seem to have one light going over by the heater controls but even the wiring diagram Howard suggested doesn't show any lights in this area, you think there would be some way to light the heater controls. I am going to put a mirror up behind the dash and see if there is something that I am missing. Also I can't find the female plug in for the Pilot Light Lead from the radio. Oh the woes of working on a mess someone left for me. Also I am trying to come up with a solution for the windshield washers. I installed a 1961 pump on the innerfender and now I am trying to figure out how to rig a rocker switch to the original washer switch.

Comment

• Howard Prout
          Experienced
          • Feb 11 2009

The light for the heater control panel is on the same circuit as the instrument panel lights and is controlled by the same dimmer switch. I think you have the wire in the right place. I had a quick glance at the wiring diagram in John's tech section and I can't see a light specifically for the heater panel - but there is one.
          Last edited by Howard Prout; November 19, 2009, 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hey Steffan,
            Look at this and let me know if it helps! Yes there is a light in the radio and in the heat controls. Now my light in Christine's radio only comes on when I turn on the radio!
            Richard D. Hord
            Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

The heater control isn't in the dash, it's in the console (so Thunderbird dash circuits won't show it). My heater control has a light bulb (so does everyone else's).

Richard, that's right, the radio light only comes on with the radio. The only reason the radio light has a separate wire is for dimming.

Steffan, before you put the Headlight Sw back, be sure you clean the dimmer. The center brass tends to turn green, then it works when it wants. As far as finding a wire for your radio light, just splice from one of the dash lights (like Ford did).

The sign of a good electrician is his ability to troubleshoot. Sometimes that means you have to go through the steps of ringing out circuits like Richard explained. As he mentioned, get a good ground wire and use it on the outside of light sockets while they are out. You will see which ones are dash lights. There aren't many other lights (OIL & GEN). - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Steffan
                Apprentice
                • Jan 29 2007

Hi Richard, well the wiring is finally done and everything is working good. I found that the wire for the heater control light allowed for a dual plug in so the pilot light for the radio now plugs into it. I also took apart the light switch and cleaned the coil spring and the brass, had some corrosion on them, and now it also works good. I do appreciate all the help that everyone has given me to this point.

Cheers
                Steffan

Comment

• Howard Prout
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 11 2009

Steffan, I think the double outlet on the heater light wire is intended for the lead to the glove box switch and light.

Comment

Hey Steffan,
                    You are more than welcome! That's what we are here for is to help and to share information!!!
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎