X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

'58-'60 Hood

When your Hood is up, does it want to close, especially on Windy days? I got the problem solved with mine. Lift the Hood up & place a 1/8th inch diameter Screwdriver about 4 inches long into the 3rd Spring Coil opening, resting on the Spring housing. Problem solved, you don't have to worry about the Hood falling on your Head or a Spectators at Shows. Also you don't have to worry about New Springs, Cost, or Labour. Best to get a Black Handle Screwdriver so it doesn't look conspicuous at Show & Shines.
    My problem is solved,I hope yours will be as well, if you have that problem.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
  • protourbird
    Experienced
    • Apr 29 2008

My problem is not the hood but the trunk. When I bought my 60 I was looking in the trunk and about the time I was wondering why there was a nerf bat in there the latch hit me in the back on the head. Those springs look like they could hurt you if you try to replace them. I think I'll try adding a pair of the air cylinders from a late model something. Any suggestions?
    sigpic
    Jim

protourbird

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jim, the issue of the trunk springs losing their temper has been documented for many years on our site. As you already know, they can be a pain ( literally ). I was able to obtain a pair of trunk springs from a vendor that were still in good shape and hadn't lost their temper. If you want to keep the springs original in concept contact John Draxler at the TBIRD RANCH http://www.tbirdranch.com/ As he had to part out a lot of his Tbirds due to the locals coming after him, to clean up his yard, he might have some decent springs at a reasonable price.For our S & S'S I always have a small wooden wedge ( placed behind the springs ) to prevent it coming down and hitting someone.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍