X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

HELP...I seem to be fighting a losing battle with my 58

I have been trying to get the passenger door to latch correctly. It will latch on the first notch, but only on the second if you get the door closed just right from the outside.
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Hmm, sounds like it needs lubrication. Try that 1st. Use Litheum(spl/chk) Lube or something similar. It could be out of adj too. You cant adj the latch, but you can adj the striker (post) Just back off the screw and it will move around.
    It sounds like its too tight. Adj it out a hair.

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by byersmtrco
      Hmm, sounds like it needs lubrication. Try that 1st. Use Litheum(spl/chk) Lube or something similar. It could be out of adj too. You cant adj the latch, but you can adj the striker (post) Just back off the screw and it will move around.
      It sounds like its too tight. Adj it out a hair.
      I have adjusted the striker all over the place trying to get it to work. Last night I moved the car and the door shut like a charm.... Actually I have been fighting this door since I got the car.

thanks for the help, I will get to lubricating it. You are I assume talking about the latch, not the striker?

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Yep. Lube the latch. How are the door hinges? Does the door sag (drop) when you open it? That could cause an alignment problem. I think you can re-bush those hinges (Not sure)

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by byersmtrco
          Yep. Lube the latch. How are the door hinges? Does the door sag (drop) when you open it? That could cause an alignment problem. I think you can re-bush those hinges (Not sure)
          Hmm, I am pretty sure it doesn't sag, but when I started messing with the striker alignment I did notice that when you close the door the striker lifts the door up. But when you phyisically lift up the door it just lifts the car also...

I had one shop tell me to use a floor jack and a 2x4 under the center of the door and lift the door to bend the center..they seemed to think the door was bent down, well, all that did was lift the whole car off the ground, those are very strong doors...

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

If you can't rebush right away but need to, you might put some shims in behind the hinges on the lower one to bring the door up a tad. nothing to lose and not hard to do.

John
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎