• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wyldie
    Apprentice
    • Dec 22 2016

1960 Tbird Convertible

Hi Everyone

I'm based over in Perth, Western Australia (WA). When I was a kid my grandfather had a 1958 Ford Thunderbird convertible, found it up north in WA rusted out and rebuilt it with my dad when he was 17.

Car was far from factory restored, was red but painted white, 59 doors on it, 390 out of a 64 in it, was a factory AC car to, continental kit, wire wheels. Looked great and loved it! Unfortunately he sold it and I was heart broken.

At the ripe old age of 33 I have started a family and decided that it's time to grow up, got rid of my BMW s1000rr motorbike and got something I can work on with my son and my dad.

I have just purchased this 60 conv, being the internet I can only take people's word for what they are selling, so I don't know a huge amount about the car other than it doesn't run "but I will easy' I'm told. It's sat in a shed since 91.

At some stage someone has put a 390 in it, drivers window doesnt work and judging by the door gaps and rockers I got some internal rocker rust to deal with, which I don't mind. I am told it's relatively rust free.... Haha we'll see....

Other than that it's all pretty original.

My trade is automotive electrician with my automotive air-conditioning licence. My old boy is a mechanic. Between the two of us there isn't much we can't do! Really looking forward to bringing this old girl back to life.

Last edited by Wyldie; January 17, 2017, 06:08 AM.
  • Penelope
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 4 2008

Good to meet you the other day Michael. As you know I have the 59 and 60 for you to "compare" to if you get in any trouble. I look forward to seeing this old girl in the flesh as soon as it lobs here in Perth.
    sigpicBill
    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

It looks relatively complete but if it has been in snow country all its life I suspect rust will be an issue.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Wyldie
        Apprentice
        • Dec 22 2016

Originally posted by scumdog
        It looks relatively complete but if it has been in snow country all its life I suspect rust will be an issue.
        Haha, my thoughts exactly, I have some photos of the trunk, doesn't look to bad. Im not to concerned about rust, kind of expect it. I would rather go into it knowing that I will have to do rust repair, then buying a nicer bird only to find rust that I'm not expecting if that makes sense.

Thanks Bill, was great to see you and your pride and joys! Thanks very much for the tour and your very kind offer. Can tell you now I'm definitely going to need to borrow that long screw driver to do that hard to reach screw at the top of the fin end

Comment

• elijahbird7
          Experienced
          • Nov 12 2013

Nice to see what the Continental Kit will be attached to...!

Comment

• Wyldie
            Apprentice
            • Dec 22 2016

Haha.. Yeah I have a long way to go before that goes on

Comment

• H-D Toys
              • Mar 2 2017

Almost bought that one myself...

Saw it in Grayslake Illinois in late December...wound up buying something else, then found another one.

Good luck on the restore, post updates.
              Registry # 64355

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                Experienced
                • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by Wyldie
                Haha, my thoughts exactly, I have some photos of the trunk, doesn't look to bad. Im not to concerned about rust, kind of expect it. I would rather go into it knowing that I will have to do rust repair, then buying a nicer bird only to find rust that I'm not expecting if that makes sense.

Thanks Bill, was great to see you and your pride and joys! Thanks very much for the tour and your very kind offer. Can tell you now I'm definitely going to need to borrow that long screw driver to do that hard to reach screw at the top of the fin end
                Actually , along screw driver was not needed for this rear quarter extension . Did some research on this when restoring my '58 . The screw goes on from the outside into the rear quarter fin top . A small bit of the screw head is left out. Then the extension, which has an offset hole in the top corner is put on the screw head and held in a horizontal position, then rotate the extension down into position 90 degree turn and secure the rest of the screws / bolts to secure extension. Hope this helps .

Comment

• Wyldie
                  Apprentice
                  • Dec 22 2016

Originally posted by H-D Toys
                  Saw it in Grayslake Illinois in late December...wound up buying something else, then found another one.

Good luck on the restore, post updates.
                  Anything you can tell me about it?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎