X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by simplyconnected
    The C6 came with many bellhousing mounts because it was used in many engine/trans combinations. The integral bellhousing is the reason why the buyer must be sure of which engine family HIS C6 fits.

Do you happen to know what year engine your C6 came out of?
    Do you know what model it was in?.. a truck (or Lincoln or Mercury)? C6 was also popular with SBF 351W engines as well. - Dave
    One came with a Mercury 410 motor, the other was a 71 or 72 truck if I remember right.

Here is some info on the 2 I have. They are thumbnails that will take you to a larger photo.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Can you get the part numbers off of the flexplates you have. That should help us identify them.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• pbf777
        Experienced
        • Jan 9 2016

[QUOTE=RustyNCa]One came with a Mercury 410 motor, the other was a 71 or 72 truck if I remember right.

The Mercury 410 (FE) would probably more closely replicate a "proper" unit for your car, with closer, but not correct, casting numbers and date codes (1968+/- vs 1970's) and automotive car application calibrations, and maybe even (but probably not) usable levers.

Make sure the truck unit (for an FE I assume) has an applicable tail shaft & housing for car vs. one unique to a truck, as this may be the deciding factor in the question, "which one do I use"? Many truck application units use a shorter main/output shaft with a bolt-on flange (vs. slip-yoke), and accompanying cast iron tail shaft housing, not suitable for your car.

The levers interchange from one unit to another (C6's) so no problem there, as long as you have one, of the many variations, which will work for your application.

The potential advantage to the truck unit may be superior internals. Back in the day, we would search for the C6's from the trucks, particularly the "Camper-Specials" as these proved to contain the better internals, which can be swapped into any other C6. For example, the four-pinion planetaries (vs. three-pinion), four-plate drum (vs.three), (which could be increased by one plate swapping retaining plate), higher leverage band lever, maybe higher rate 2nd gear servo, and............etc. Keep in mind, all these "superior" items may not lead to as smooth in operation a transmission.

Scott.

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jopizz
          Can you get the part numbers off of the flexplates you have. That should help us identify them.

John
          I looked at the two flywheels I have, the 410 one did have numbers on the balancing weight (so it is externally balanced?) and I am sure not correct to use with my 390. The other I never found any part numbers on it, but it seems identical to the one already mounted to my motor.

Both C6s seem to have the same tail section on them. The 390 one came with the slip yoke into the trans. It appears to fit the 410 trans, and the 58s original COM I pulled.

I ran into my buddy that gave me the Mercury 410 and asked him if he knew what it came from, he told me a 67 Mercury. But he didn't tell me what model. It's shift linkage is vastly different than the 58s, so that will take some work, or the other C6 linkage is closer to what I had.

The mercury trans does have some interesting electrical switch over the shift linkage at the trans with a long lead. Perhaps that is the safety switch?

Thanks guys
          RustyNCA

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would use either the flexplate you have on there now or the one off the truck. Whichever one has less wear. I would not use the weighted one . You will have to do some mods on the shift linkage and trans mount to use the C6. You are correct about the neutral switch being on the transmission. You can just remove it or leave it. Use the neutral switch that is on your steering column.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎