No announcement yet.

1959 fuse box?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1959 fuse box?

I'm new to this site, and also a new T-Bird owner. I have a 1959 convertible, and recently both of my brake lights quit working. I'm assuming that it's a fuse, but can't find a fuse box anywhere. Does anyone know where this would be located?
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: 1959 fuse box?

These cars have mostly in-line fuses.
    Alexander will probably have additional info. for you, but I believe the brake lights are controlled by a fuse on the back of the headlight switch.
    You might also check the power brake booster. If has a connector on it to operate the brake lights - if it is unplugged, they won't light up.

Casey
    60 hardtop
    Casey

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

As Casey stated there is no fuse box in these cars. Everything in these cars has inline fuses. For a gude to the fuses see: http://www.squarebirds.org/1958servi...es/p-34-35.htm . If I remember correctly, the both the brake lights and the headlights have circuit breakers in the headlight switch. If all four of your brake lights are out, you might want to test your brake light switch. It is located on the end of the master cylinder in the engine compartment. To test if it works, pull off the two green wires going to the brake light switch and connect wire jumper between the two green wires, thereby bypassing the switch. If the lights go on now, the brake light switch is bad and needs to be replaced. Sometimes the problem is that the contacts of these green wires get corroded and need to be cleaned or replaced.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info guys........I'll check out the things you mentioned....

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

yea - that's what I meant Alexander - the master cylinder "thingy" -
          my technical term for what you just said :-)
          My car had malfunctioning brake lights when I got it and the brake light switch was simply unplugged. It works much better "plugged in".

Casey
          Casey

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎