X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: Transmission Doesn't Shift

Hmmm, might want to consult a tranny guy (an old timer pref) There are special tools req. If you follow the instructions in the Svc/manual, it says to remove the ctr/console and access plate from the floorboard-tunnel area. My guy said this wasn't necc. He was a trans man for Ford for 25+ yrs before he opened his shop. It does shift good now. Definently drop the pan and check that too. Service it (Do a flush) A standard service just drains the pan only and removes aprox 3-4 qts. When they flush it with the cooler lines that run to the radiator, you get a compl fluid change This gets rid of all the old fluid (in the Tq/Converter too).

Good luck!!!

John

Comment

• peeeot
      Experienced
      • Oct 23 2005

I took the bird out for a brief spin yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks, and lo and behold, it shifted! Only once though, I think.

I was driving it below 30 mph in D2 when I felt and heard a definite shift into 3rd gear. It came when I was rolling down a little hill. I drove it some more afterward to try to replicate the shift, but ifit shifted, I didn't hear/feel it. I DID think it sounded like it was in 3rd once or twice, but I don't know for sure.

Does this have any bearing on my troubleshooting? Maybe I just need to drive it more....

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Sounds like you need to take it out n' run it !!!!!
        Run along about 40 or 50 MPH, then kick it in the butt. See if it drops into 2nd. Start in low and see if it goes thru the gears. Driving normal, mine will shift into 2nd at about 20 mph, then into 3rd about 30. The more throttle, the longer the shft points. Wide open, it shifts into 2nd at 45-50 and into 3rd at 70.

I think you just need to service it and adj (both) bands. Then run it !!!!!

JB

Comment

• peeeot
          Experienced
          • Oct 23 2005

Update!

I took the car to a local fellow and when he was done with it I drove home, the transmission was shifting. He said that the governor valve was rusty and sticking. He also said the mechanical linkages were out of adjustment.

I had pulled the governor valve myself, and it looked immaculate to me. He acted like there was a part inside of the parts I examined that was rusty. I can't remember what the part looked like well enough to know for sure, but since it was working I took his word for it.

Today, however, I took the car for a spin, and there was once again no shifting. I drove up to 25 mph with minimal throttle and no shift to second gear.

If he'll work on it more for free, I'll bring it back to that guy, or at least request a refund or something... I really want this to work.

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Sounds like you need to go faster than 25 miles an hour. It should shift by then, but not if the detent is out of adj, or the gvnr is sticking as he says.
            Take it out on the freeway !!!

Comment

• peeeot
              Experienced
              • Oct 23 2005

I'd love to, but it isn't licensed yet :-(

Comment

• peeeot
                Experienced
                • Oct 23 2005

I've been fiddling with this some more lately. I took the governor out again and thoroughly cleaned it (it was rusty, like the mechanic had said) and soaked it in transmission fluid. It has been shifting consistently since then, but even after linkage adjustments, the shift points are wrong. It normally shifts out of 1st at 26-28 mph (with minimal throttle). The best it's done is 1-2 at 20 mph. the 2-3 shift happens closer to where it should, aka almost immediately after the 1-2, or around 25 mph. I've observed that the quality and timing of the shifts improves as the engine warms up.

So, I plan to drop the pan and do a fluid/filter change sometime soon. The shop manual acts like the filter does not get replaced, but simply cleaned. I can get a new filter from the parts store though. Should I just order a pan gasket, or get the filter kit?

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

You can new filters and pan gaskets. I would replace them.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

• KULTULZ

What Model Transmission?

You have an early BIRD but state that the trans is from a 64/65 MERC? If that late, it should have a modulator valve and an intake manifold vacuum source to it. The earlier trans was throttle rod controlled, i.e. there was no modulator valve and the trans was mechanically shift initiated as the later AOD.

If the trans is a later model with a modulator valve, you need to determine if the mechanical shift linkage has been removed (if still present and functional, it will interfere with proper shifting) and how passing gear is initiated (and how passing gear is initiated).

If the governor is as badly rusted (internally) as you say, it should be replaced. Remember, the way a trans shifts was designed for the car it was origionally installed in. You can change shift points with modulator valve adjustment and modifications to the valve body.

Comment

• peeeot
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 23 2005

RE: What Model Transmission?

Someone had suggested a problem with a vacuum modulator, but my transmission is the original cruise-o-matic with the correct original linkage and everything. The gear selector is very sloppy, as is typical of these cars when they have some miles on them... but it WILL go into gear without too much trouble.

The rust on the governor was almost exlusively on the outside, like on the surface of the counterweight or on the little access cover. Though I'm sure it couldn't hurt to replace it.

Comment

• KULTULZ

>Someone had suggested a problem with a vacuum modulator, but
                        >my transmission is the original cruise-o-matic with the
                        >correct original linkage and everything. The gear selector
                        >is very sloppy, as is typical of these cars when they have
                        >some miles on them... but it WILL go into gear without too
                        >much trouble.
                        >
                        >The rust on the governor was almost exlusively on the
                        >outside, like on the surface of the counterweight or on the
                        >little access cover. Though I'm sure it couldn't hurt to
                        >replace it.

I'm sorry. It is another member who stated he had a MERC trans.

The shifting will be controlled by throttle linkage. You need to aquire a correct year CRUISE-O-MATIC manual and adjust the linkage and bands. Alexander also sells new detents to tighten up your gear selector linkage.

Comment

• peeeot
                          Experienced
                          • Oct 23 2005

I have taken the next step and opened up the transmission to do a fluid/filter change and to adjust the bands. While I have it open, I decided to perform the compressed air checks listed in the shop manual and possibly examine the valve body.

As for what I found when I opened the transmission: it looks brand new. Components still have the little dabs of colored paint on them that often appear on new, recently assembled internal pieces. The fluid was not very clean. It is fairly dark and murky. There were some sludge deposits in it, but the filter was mostly clean.

I removed the valve body and began to attempt the air pressure checks. I have a problem right away. When I apply air pressure to the front clutch passage, there is no thud and I don't feel any change when I put my fingers on the front drum. Instead, I hear air moving somewhere higher up in the case. If I put my fingers in the gap between the pan surface and the front servo, I feel the air moving. There is a small hole in the front clutch drum; I can't tell for sure if any of the air is coming from that hole. Also, when I apply pressure to the front clutch passage, I'm supposed to here a sharp click and see movement from the governor. It doesn't do anything. I've tried all the passages to make sure I wasn't doing the wrong one. I've tried manipulating the governor by hand and putting the transmission in different gears. Nothing changes it.

All the other pressure tests I performed performed correctly.

All this is strange to me because I don't have any problems at all with slipping or driving forward, and supposedly the car won't move forward at all without correct engagement of the front clutch.

Am I using too little air pressure? It's enough to make the rear clutch operate. If not that, where is my problem?

Comment

• peeeot
                            Experienced
                            • Oct 23 2005

Update: I feel pretty dumb, because I just found out that all along I have been mistaking the governor valve weight for the valve itself! The valve has been sticking. I cleaned it up and now it moves freely in the bore, as it's supposed to.

Now, when I apply the air pressure at the front clutch passage, I still get the hissing and the lack of clutch actuation, but at least I can see the governor valve moving inward a bit. Something still isn't right though.

Comment

• peeeot
                              Experienced
                              • Oct 23 2005

Update again!

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I found a crack in my transmission case. There is a structural support cast into the case that runs perpendicular to the length of the car, and one of the 2 mounting bolts for the secondary servo bolts into it. That bolt is broken off at the threads, and right next to its hole is the crack in the case support. Someone has "repaired" it with a screw/bolt running perpendicular to the crack. I guess the servo is only supported with one bolt right now. I don't know what if any negative effects the crack is causing.

The good news is that I put everything back together and the car shifts/drives much better! 1-2 comes at about 15 mph, according to the speedo, and 2-3 happens shortly after. It is not totally consistent, but the performance is overall consistently acceptable. It downshifts well, too.... I read that the 352 powered Birds were kind of slow, even in their day, but mine feels like it has well more than enough power in reserve.

Anyone else had a crack like I'm talking about?

Comment

Ive heard the old cruis-o-matics would crack easily for those who dont come to a stop when in reverse.........and then putting it in gear.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎