X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

DownUnder Squarebird Goes To New Home

This morning, I received an email from a long time Down Under member and supporter of our Forum, Lex Wares ~ lexdownunder. After receiving it, I asked Lex for his permission to post it and he kindly gave me his permission. Here is what he had to say.

"Hi Ray, It is with regret that I need to let you know I have sold my Raven Black, 59 Bird, "Birdie". It got to the point where I just wasn't driving it enough and frankly it was becoming a little too much (health wise) for me to polish and work on. I've had "Birdie" for more than 8 years & Susan & I have had many memorable & enjoyable times in her & some wonderful cruises & shows.

Now for the good news. The new owner Paul Watt is a local guy, just 45 minutes away from where I live and he had been looking for an original Bird, not concourse, but a car he can drive every day. In addition, he wants to keep the Bird original, as it is now. So for the foreseeable future, "Birdie" is in good hands and has an excellent caretaker. Also, because he lives so close he has undertaken to bring "Birdie" around so we will still get to see her. So all good. Paul is already aware of the Squarebirds.org Web Site and showed great interest in joining the club so hopefully you will hear from him in due course. I have sent him a copy of this email so he has your info for future reference.

I intend to always remain a member of Squarebirds.org Ray. I spend many hours on the website just reading about all things "Thunderbird".

I would like to take this opportunity to say my sincere thanks to you personally Ray & to all the members of Squarebirds.org for their assistance, help & information over the past 8 years. It is just the best website & I love it because it feels just like a family. I feel I know many of the members personally even though we have never actually met. It is Susan's & my plan to hopefully catch up with these members on our future visit to U.S.A. & Canada.

Once again Ray, many thanks to you & the marvelous members of Squarebirds.org. Take care, Lex"

It is my hope that Paul will join us so that we can help him maintain and keep "Birdie" in the excellent condition that she is in. I know that if he should join us, ya'll will make him feel very welcome to the Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Lex sorry to hear that you have sold " Birdie " but you will always be a member of the squarebird.org family.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

I'm sorry to hear about your health Lex & also having to part with your BIRD. Hopefully you'll find something else to keep you occupied as "BIRDIE" did.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Penelope
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 4 2008

Never great to hear about someone's bad health..... Hope you get through it Lex.
        sigpicBill
        Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

A bit sad having to part with a part of your life, it sits on MY mind that one day I will have to part with my "66 Town Landau...

But stay on this site Lex - you might have parted with your "bird but you don't have to part with us too!
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• lexdownunder
            Apprentice
            • Sep 7 2010

Hi Guys

I didn't mean to alarm anyone that I am having health problems and thank you all for your good wishes.

I would just like to let you all know though that there is nothing sinister going on (I've beaten cancer twice & no signs of recurrence)....it's just the usual old age problems with back & knees.
            Bending & lifting has become a problem & leaning into an engine bay for too long takes days to recover.

As Scumdog said, "it was sad saying goodbye to that part of my life", however, I have no intention of parting from this site & will always remain a member of this fantastic squarebirds.org club.

Thanks again for your concern & good wishes.

Cheers
            Lex

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Lex yes this is a path that we ALL will take at one point. Age has a way of monitoring and dictating our activities
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

DownUnder Squarebird Goes To New Home

I am glad that Lex just posted something because I was considering doing so myself! He, like me, and others getting up there in age, (Lex is about 10 years younger than I am), start feeling the difficulties in prepping a car for an S&S event on a regular basis. Here in Texas, when it is Spring and the S&S events start showing up every weekend, (and many on the same days) it can already be in the high 80's, 90's and later in the Summer into the 100's. Prepping a Tbird for show in the morning hours for a judging event in the afternoon with the temps then up into the high 90's and low 100's, can be very telling on a person. For those reasons, I have stopped showing Rose. I am not the Spring Chicken that I used to be. Besides, the trunk is full of trophies already, and enough to last me. There is also the way some S&S events are judged... You are often competing against other classic cars you should not have to compete with... No Tbird division, etc..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Dec 23 2008

There is also the way some S&S events are judged...
                  So true. I have seen some VERY high Senior ranked CTCI scoring cars not even get many looks or votes at show and shine events because they are entirely stock, not enough chrome or don't have 32" wheels. Like you, the age and temp thing can be a bit much. I like to go to shows, walk around, take pictures, then go home when I want instead of waiting till the show is over and 500 cars try to leave at one time. Been there and done that, its not fun for me anymore, and to each his own. I do appreciate those who participate!

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

That is why WE need to get the younger generation ( like some on our site ) to take the mantel with these classic cars moving forward. Our local TBird club has generated younger members and also created a new judging category at our S&S " Young Guns " award.
                    The squarebird.orgs site is a valuable resource to obtain much needed information from our experienced and older members.
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Penelope
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 4 2008

You will be pleased to know Dano that two of my grandkids have already put dibs on the birds so they will be staying in the family, bring on the younger generation!!
                      sigpicBill
                      Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Wyldie
                        Apprentice
                        • Dec 22 2016

Well you'll be all pleased to know, I'm 33 and just starting out my tbird "life" but the main issue is most people my age aren't aware of these cars. Everything is fuel injection and cheap plastics, movies like fast and furious promote Japanese import scene, while there is a couple of classic cars in there, it's all you common main stream classics, like 67-69 mustang, Mopar, chargers and so forth. I've always seen the tbird of a touch of class and elegance. Not about speed, noise, power, just style and grace.

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Michael that is great being 33 and I agree that " most " younger people haven't caught the TBird itch. Once they do they are hooked

Bill that's great that the grandkids have put dibs on th birds and they will stay in the family.
                          Thunderbird Registry
                          58HT #33317
                          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍