Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Studearch
    • Feb 8 2018

1959 Console Ashtray

I just removed my console to install new carpet. There is an electrical lead going to some sort of bulb device in the forward ashtray. There is a small perforated disc in the ashtray next to the device. Anybody know what this is? It does not appear to be a light. Thanks, Jack, Albuquerque
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

It is a light. Back in the day when people smoked, ash trays were a necessity. The bulb is clipped to the side of the ash tray where there is a small hole to illuminate the ash tray at night. The bulb is connected to the circuit for your dash lights. There should also be a light for the rear ash tray.
    Nyles

Comment

• Studearch
      • Feb 8 2018

Ashtray light

Thanks for the info. I tried to find it on a wiring diagram with no luck. I assume it is dimmable like the dash lights too, correct?

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

I can't swear to it, but I think it is a blue wire running to the ash tray lights which would mean it is connected to the dimmer circuit.
        Nyles

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

lighted ash tray. The height of luxury in 1959
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
            It is a light. Back in the day when people smoked, ash trays were a necessity. The bulb is clipped to the side of the ash tray where there is a small hole to illuminate the ash tray at night. The bulb is connected to the circuit for your dash lights. There should also be a light for the rear ash tray.
            Nyles
            Looks like a green wire and a ground. This post made me take the front and rear ash tray assemblies out just now.

I have a light for the front, but there are no wires leading to the back ash tray. The light is clipped to the inner rear wall retainer. Had it come apart easily, I would have messed with the bulb and maybe replaced it for giggles.

BYTW, I stopped smoking over 10 years ago, but the damage was done. Infarction with 3 main coronary arteries blocked at 99, 99, and 95%. Triple bypass followed. A second chance!

Dean

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎