X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

352 valve cover sticker

I was looking in my Larry's T-Bird catalog today and they show in the 58-60 engine decal section a round sticker to put on the valve cover, it says 352 high performance engine. Looks cool, but is it correct for our cars? Don't remember ever seeing one on our car in the past 50 years!
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • Alan H. Tast, AIA
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

Valve Cover Decals

NO WAY IN **** is it correct for a T-bird engine!! What you're seeing is the decal used on the Hipo 360hp 352's offered in '60 full-size Fords. No Engine/CID ID decals were used for '59 or '60 'Birds, while for the '58 300hp 352 one was used on the air cleaner.

The decal suppliers and parts vendors offer these items regardless of authenticity. In the case of engine decals this is a big pet peeve of mine. For instance I've seen more than a handful of '58-'60 'Birds with the two-piece "Interceptor Special" decal on top of the air cleaner that was NEVER used on the 'Bird - it was used on the '58 full-size car only (it had no radial ribbing like the 'Bird assembly), and as such it doesn't even fit or look right on the 'Bird assembly. And don't get me going on those flag-flanked CID decals that weren't used until '65 showing up on everything prior to then.
    Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Gold Bird
      Experienced
      • Nov 9 2007

Thanks for the reply, I just called my father about it too, he bought our car new in 1960, no decal on the valve covers. He has had plenty of people over the years that have told him that the yellow color was not correct too, he just smiles and tells them he should know, after all I am the original owner!

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

I too have a '60 Tbird that my Dad bought new. No stickers on the valve covers and only the "Use genuine FORD replacement parts ...." on the side of the air cleaner. Valve covers are yellow with the stamped FORD letters.

Is your Tbird on the Tbird registry?

(this is mine)

Eric

Comment

• Gold Bird
          Experienced
          • Nov 9 2007

Hey Eric, Did not know about the T-Bird registry, how do I sign up? Thanks Tom

Comment

I'm with you Alan!!!!!! In addition to what you indicated, what gets me really steamed is when the font style, font size, color, and material isn't even close to what was original! I just love those regulator decals that stick out like a sore...uh..thumb!

Comment

Hey Tom,
              Go to http://www.tbirdregistry.com, follow instructions. John will Email you back when your Thunderbird has been registered and registry number!
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎