No announcement yet.

Disc brake conversion question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc brake conversion question

I am new to the forum, I look forward to some good discussion.

I know there is a disc brake thread, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I did a disc brake conversion on my 62 Landau. Apparently some time in the car's history, the rims were changed. Now the rims do not fit over the disc hubs, even with spacers. I am told I need Ford rims from an old Ford with discs. Newer, like 65-66, TBirds have 15" rims; I need 14". Does anyone know where I can find 14" rims from a disc brake Ford that will fit my car? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vince from what I understand either 15 rims or possibly14 from later model with discs check out responses to my post on same question sounds like you used 65 parts. Hope this may help. Jef. 63Tealbird. And check out rest of forum much great help

Comment

Possibly mustsng check swap meets scrap yards

Comment

• Howard Prout
        Experienced
        • Feb 11 2009

Mid 70s Granada rims (14" x 6") should work. That is what I used when I converted my '59 to disc brakes.
        P.S. I used Mustang rotors.
        Last edited by Howard Prout; February 28, 2013, 06:50 AM. Reason: addition
        sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Granada rotors (and wheels) have very large center openings. If you used Granada rotors, you just about have to also use Granada rims OR, have the rotor snouts turned down.

There is an alternative. Our members used Mustang rotors. They have snouts that match the dimensions of our drum snouts. Sooooo, they fit with no alteration straight off the shelf.

So the choice is, either buy Granada rotors at ~$15/ea., and have the snouts turned down or buy Mustang rotors for ~$45/ea. There is another consideration here; the Mustang rotors use Squarebird bearings and seals. If you happen to be far from home, Granada rotors won't work off the shelf unless you have Granada wheels. The Mustang rotors work with any 'disk brake' wheel. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
            Super-Experienced
            • Aug 27 2008

Mid to late 70's Ford LTD wheels are 14 inch and work with the Granada disc conversion. That is what I am running on my car. They also accept the original hubcaps but good luck finding any. I'm running 215 75 14 Diamond Back wide whitewalls on the LTD wheels.

I have been told mid 90's Ford Ranger wheels also work but have no first hand experience on those.

I check to see if my friend still has the (5) 14 inch 71Cougar wheels and if he wants to sell them separately.

Good luck,
            Eric

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks to all for your help. I found rims from 67-70 Cougar/Mustang that fit. I had them sandblasted and re-painted, and all is well. As usual, most jobs take longer than expected, but enjoying the end result is what it's all about.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎