X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cubbear
    Experienced
    • Nov 29 2008

cruise o matic trans trouble

when I put in gear it takes a few seconds befor it engages is there an adj for that?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Your COM holds about eleven quarts of trans fluid. I assume the level is right. This lag could be the result of many things. How old and viscous is your trans fluid?

Trans fluid is hydraulic oil, designed to be compatible with your seals and components. It doesn't get dirty like in your engine BUT all that material from your bands and clutch steels and fibers has to go somewhere. Those pieces float around inside the trans fluid and through the small passages in the valve body.

Condensation causes water to form in your transmission. Normally, when your transmission fluid gets hot the water simply evaporates. This is transparent for daily drivers but more of a problem for classic cars that don't get used very often. It's important to run your engine passed the temp when your thermostat opens. Take it for a four mile run.

Finally, your trans has oil pumps. They wear out like engine oil pumps do but not as fast. This is another encouragement to keep your trans fluid clean. When trans pumps wear, they don't produce the pressures as they once did, especially at idle speeds. I'm sure you've witnessed a car that was just put in gear, but it didn't move until the engine rev'ed a little. Then, it lurched into gear. This usually happens on very cold mornings when the oil is thick but the same rules apply. The pump needs to overcome resistance to flow.

My wife's 2010 Escape REQUIRES the trans fluid to be changed. I couldn't believe this but, the procedure is; drain three quarts out (that's all that comes out when you pull the plug). Fill with expensive silicone trans fluid. Run the vehicle until the trans fluid mixes well. Repeat TWO MORE TIMES. This trans is the 6-speed automatic and it has NO filter that I can change.

**********A word of caution********* Manufacturers DO NOT suggest you 'flush' your trans. Many 'Uncle Ed's' type places make a hundred bucks each time they pull the machine out. It isn't necessary if you change your trans fluid. Look at the color. If it's not bright red, if it's brown, if you smell anything funky on the dipstick, or if you see little pieces when you wipe the stick on a white towel, it's past time to change it. I don't put much faith in the filter (although I'm glad it's there) because the REAL filtration comes when the fluid is changed. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Can you give us a little background info on the transmission. Has it been rebuilt; is the fluid level good; has the fluid and filter been changed. Most problems are a result of poor maintenance and/or years of sitting resulting in components that are clogged. My trans's filter was clogged solid from years of sitting.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

John, I think I might have parts that are clogged from years of sitting....
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected

My wife's 2010 Escape REQUIRES the trans fluid to be changed. I couldn't believe this but, the procedure is; drain three quarts out (that's all that comes out when you pull the plug). Fill with expensive silicone trans fluid. Run the vehicle until the trans fluid mixes well. Repeat TWO MORE TIMES. This trans is the 6-speed automatic and it has NO filter that I can change....
          That's terrible. This just solidifies my belief that modern FWD vehicles are simply not designed to last past a certain design life. Use 'em up and toss 'em away.

Comment

• Astrowing
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

It probably is varnish or other build-up in the valve body. If the valve body pistons are "sticking", it will be slow to shift or move into gear.

My transmission had an oxidation line in it about half-way up to the top due to condensation in the transmission before it was rebuilt. These cars need to be run enough periodically to heat up not only the engine but the transmission and differential to get the condensation cooked out.
            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• 63-4drpost
              Experienced
              • Feb 14 2009

worn-out

probably the clutch piston seal is worn so bad it takes a few seconds to build clutch plate pressure because of the leakage past the piston seals. tear it down and put new seals and clutches in it and go another 100,000 miles.. That is what I had to do with my 1960 Bird.

Comment

Cruse O Matic trans

My Thunderbird is a 1960 HT. I bought it last year. It has 81,000
                miles on it. The car was stored for 20 years in AZ. I am having the transmission reworked this year. It will be about $1,500 to do the job, then it will be good for another 80,000 + miles, with no transmission trouble.

I thought about it and decided to spend the $$$ so I would not be broken down, miles from home. 1,500 is a lot less money than a brake down miles from home.

Larry.

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

$1500 is also two, maybe three car payments. That's not a lot of money to drive your pride and joy for years without worrying about a transmission problem, or having it leak all over your garage.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎