X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 63-4drpost
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

1960 T-Bird Ranchero build??

Just toying with the idea of converting my 1960 T-Bird hardtop into a Ranchero. I would cut a section out of the roof, and move the rear window up to the front seat back. Then install a floor and sides for the bed. Am I nuts??( okay, I am)
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Unless you have some serious skills working with unibody cars I wouldn't recommend it. It's not like working on a car with a frame.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• lawyercalif
      Experienced
      • May 12 2011

I have seen pictures of one made into a 4wd truck, with the type of body mods you are talking about. But I believe it had a solid frame. You can google it and probably find it.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
        Experienced
        • Feb 14 2009

Ranchero Bird

never thought about the unit construction, bad idea. I wish Ford would have made a '60 Bird with a Starliner roof. I have thought about installing a Starliner roof, but may be more than I am capable of doing myself. Thanks

Comment

• lawyercalif
          Experienced
          • May 12 2011

Finding a Starliner roof might be a big problem. Starliners are starting to go for big bucks because there are not that many survivors.

Comment

A few years back I restored a 1971 Mercedes 280SE sedan that had been converted into a pick-up (we call then utilities or 'utes' in Oz). The conversion was a very professional job and done years ago as a promotional vehicle for a tyre company. The Merc was of unitary construction and they fabricated the rear tray out of welded checker plate steel which made it extremely strong and rigid. Anything is possible with enough time and dollars. I can show you a picture if you're interested.

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

• davidmij
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 17 2011

Do you mean one of,,,,,,,,,these?
              Attached Files

Comment

• lawyercalif
                Experienced
                • May 12 2011

Originally posted by davidmij
                Do you mean one of,,,,,,,,,these?
                That's the one I saw.

Comment

I kinda like it ...

but I'd lower the stance a little. Tail gate would probably be the hardest part. Mike

Comment

• KULTULZ

The car was built on a light truck 4 X 4 chassis (and frame I would imagine), so that explains the extreme trim height.

Uni-body Rancheros (Fairlane/Falcon) were modified station wagon bodies so there should not be any major structural issues. As mentioned, tailgate fabrication would be difficult.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Dec 23 2008

I usually don't like things like that, but you do have to give the builder credit for completing the project! That was a lot of work. Would like to see it close up & agree about it being too high. I saw a Pinto wagon years ago that was on a Jeep running gear - he had the floor channeled over the frame and the roof was only a couple of inches higher than stock. Nice job, but being a Pinto, the original floor was probably rusted away when he started, making the channeling an easier job. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Comment

• davidmij
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 17 2011

Here's a picture of the tailgate - just click on the link and then on each picture.

You could always be lazy and go with a net too.
                        So what is so hard about the tailgate? (probably a dumb question) but wouldn't you just use the rear half of the Ranchero - the tail gates are attached to the bed, right?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by davidmij

Here's a picture of the tailgate - just click on the link and then on each picture.

You could always be lazy and go with a net too.
                          If you look closely, the gate is fabricated from bar stock.

So what is so hard about the tailgate? (probably a dumb question) but wouldn't you just use the rear half of the Ranchero - the tail gates are attached to the bed, right?
                          The tailgates were cut from tailgates of the period donor station-wagon. To fashion a proper looking gate on a BIRD would involve sectioning the rear body panel and fabricating an inner frame.

Comment

• dgs
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Feb 13 2003

That link above is my web site, I was just going to post it.

That '58 was placed on a 4WD '77 Chevy Blazer frame with the requisite SBC. Evidently the prior owner used it to haul a trailer full of mowers for his landscaping business.
                            DGS (aka salguod)
                            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                            www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎