X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

Water Overflow Tank 1960 352ci

I need a new tank, mine is really shot. I have found a few used ones, but they are different then the one on my car now. Does anyone know what the part number should be for a 1960? Actually I do not know if the one I have on the car is correct. I just want to make sure if I buy one it will fit OK.

Thanks,

Steve
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Water Overflow Tank 1960 352ci

The part numbers on the overflow tanks are not very straight forward. They are not the usual Ford part numbers.

What you want is a smooth not ribbed top overflow tank with the radiator cap in the middle as shown here:

Many T-Bird suppliers have these used. Unfortunately, they are only reproducing the later year ones now. Many of the used ones need some work to fix the common leaks areound the seams.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

Thanks for the info Alexander...that is the type that is on my car. Who ever had my car before me welded the mount brackets on and and did a terrible job. It is beyond repair.

P.S Your engine compartment looks a bit better then mine. I have just pulled my engine and am putting a 390 long block together to install. I have discovered some steering problems since removing the engine. It seems like the more I take apart and fix, the more I find to fix. Thanks again for your help.

Steve
      Cedar Rapids
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

You can try this vendor: http://www.gessford.com/cobraparts/fmisc.htm . They will make an expansion tank to your specifications, just tell them the outflow hose diameter, and tell them it is on the standard passenger side. It will work, but the tank is ribbed not smooth. It is probably much better than the originals - no leaks!

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

I found this link for a 1958-60 T-Bird expansion tank : http://www.thunderbirdconn.com/part-...um=8080-A-B8S* . I am not sure if it is new or used for $135.95 .

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎