• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lexdownunder
    Apprentice
    • Sep 7 2010

Power Windows

Hi Guys
    Today my drivers side front window was just making a clicking sound & would not go down. Passenger side was working but when I got home that too would not work.
    Because both front windows are not now working, is there something I should check first before I go charging into stripping & searching??

Cheers
    Lex
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

There is a circuit breaker in the engine compartment that is attached to the firewall. If the contacts in the breaker are corroded or worn, it is possible that the voltage to the window motors might be low. An easy way to test this is to put a jumper across the breaker and try the windows. If they start to work, then replace the breaker. They are only a couple of dollars.
    The window switches are also a common problem, but since you have 2 windows that quit working, I would check the circuit breaker first.
    Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Power Windows

Lex, this could be a circuit breaker problem. I did some quick searching on the Forum for Power Window problems. One thing I came up with is something that Dave ~ simplyconnected said in a post. "Power originates from the relay on your firewall. It's in the engine compartment, at the top, on the passenger's side. The relay energizes when your key is on and the shifter is in P or N."

You might check that relay and see if there is power going to the relay, but not coming out of it. I guess you should be seeing 12v input and 12v output. It might be that the relay has gone out.

Otherwise, hopefully, someone with better technical knowledge than I will come along and provide some additional input. I looked at the Power Window Tech article in the TRL, but that mainly has to do with how to break down a window motor, and repair and refurbish it. The wiring diagram for your Tbird is in the TRL though if you need it. Good luck with it. I see that Nyles has just replied and also said to check that breaker.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If your back windows are also not working then I would check the circuit breaker on the firewall as Ray suggested. If they are working and you are hearing a clicking sound that indicates that the motor is spinning then the rubber gear connector may have broken or stripped. It's odd though that you said that one window stopped working then the other.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• lexdownunder
          Apprentice
          • Sep 7 2010

Thanks guys for your advice.
          Something definitely weird was going on with the windows. When I tried them this morning, passenger side worked perfectly but drivers side still making a clicking noise. I removed the door panel & made sure the moving parts & channel were properly lubricated.
          Tried the window again & it's now working albeit slightly jerky. I operated both front windows probably about 20 times each & appears to be all OK now.
          Is it possibly an earthing fault that is causing the slight jerking of the drivers window???

I should have mentioned in my original post that I only have the front windows operating electrically. Although the rear windows have the motors & wiring, the previous owner had them bolted in the closed position & wiring disconnected from the motors. Looking at the rear window rollers etc, I'm thinking they were so badly worn that they opted to bolt them in the fixed position rather than replace the rollers etc.
          Another job for next winter!!!!

Thanks again for your assistance.
          You guys are totally awesome!!!
          Lex

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

Perhaps, if you had a loose earthing ground connection, it could cause intermittent or jerky movement. It is easy to check and clean the connection. If I recall, the ground connection is attached to another circuit breaker that goes to ground. Clean all the connections and again you could swap parts with the rear windows as a test.
            How is the black fuzzy stuff in your window channels? If this is not in good shape, it can cause binding and jerky operation.
            Since your rear windows are bolted in place, you may try and swap a motor from the rear and put it in the drivers door that is giving you the problem. The motors are the same and will bolt right up. Since the rear windows typically do not get operated as much as the front, the motors are usually in better shape. I would disconnect the motor from the mechanism and leave the wiring connected and test run the motor solo. This is just a thought.
            There is also a small gearbox that the motor is connected to. It has a cog gear and worm gear inside to actuate the window. These gearboxes can be disassembled, cleaned and lubed with fresh grease. This is just one more possibility.
            Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Power Windows

Lex, if you should decide to get into the motors and overhaul them, remember that there is a very detailed Tech item on how to do it with a lot of pix in the TRL....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎