X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

Remote trunk release

1959 convertible. This the remote trunk release used in the convertible to trip solenoids to open the trunk. It is a momentary switch. I think I can repair this - in fact have to since no one seems to have one in either new or used condition.
    From the photos the PO put in sheet metal screws apparently to repair the switch contacts. At present if the screws are removed and probes are inserted and the key button is activated electrical contact can be established. However there is a sweet spot that is difficult to get. The barrel revolves freely. In the third picture I think the circled part is a registration mark to establish the clocking of the switch. Has anyone else observed this and if so what is the proper clocking. Otherwise trial and error will have to suffice. Any suggestions on how to repair the holes that had the screws. Thanks.....
    Attached Files
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The original wires were not held in by screws. If I'm not mistaken they had bullet connectors that pushed into the sockets. Maybe Carl knows for sure. I'm not sure what the clocking has to do with the switch. It's just a push button. Turn the key to unlock it and push it in. I'm missing what you're saying.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• p38fighter
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 14 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
      The original wires were not held in by screws. If I'm not mistaken they had bullet connectors that pushed into the sockets. Maybe Carl knows for sure. I'm not sure what the clocking has to do with the switch. It's just a push button. Turn the key to unlock it and push it in. I'm missing what you're saying.

John
      It appears from continuity testing that I've done there is only one small spot where conductivity is present. Its a little hard to find since the barrel revolves freely. So when I try to get good contact I have to rotate the barrel (with the mark) to hit the spot. It would seem that the barrel should not revolve. I am trying to locate the spot to tie it down. I'll have to do it by trial and error I suppose. You may be right about bullets being the way to go.

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

There used to be a 59 in San Jose (former customer)
        His switch was on the R/H side where mine is (under the
        Wpr Sw) It was just a chrome button.

I WISH I could find all the parts to just convert mine over
        to the 58-59 syst. SO much simpler.

Good luck!!!

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

As John said, there were bullet connectors in the back of the switch. The line that you suggest is a clocking indicator is actually a parting line for the switch portion of the assembly. This section can be removed and a universal push switch can be jury-rigged to function more reliably.
          Carl

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by p38fighter
            It appears from continuity testing that I've done there is only one small spot where conductivity is present. Its a little hard to find since the barrel revolves freely. So when I try to get good contact I have to rotate the barrel (with the mark) to hit the spot. It would seem that the barrel should not revolve. I am trying to locate the spot to tie it down. I'll have to do it by trial and error I suppose. You may be right about bullets being the way to go.
            The way the switch works is you insert the key (in the locked position), turn one complete revolution to unlock it and push it in to unlock the trunk. You can leave it unlocked and remove the key or turn one complete revolution in the opposite direction to lock it again. The rotation of the lock has nothing to do with the continuity of the push button portion of the switch.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• p38fighter
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 14 2016

Thank you John and Carl.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡