Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jandjinfla
    • May 18 2014

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

I have what everyone tells me is a common problem, a small oil drip after a drive. It just bothers me and I'd like to do something about it.
    Is it possible to replace the oil pan gasket without pulling the engine ?
    If this is possible please share any instructions on how to do it. Also please send any tips on how to stop this leak by any other means possible.
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes you can remove the pan with the engine in the car. First, however, are you sure the leak is coming from the pan. Most oil leaks come from either the valve covers, intake manifold or rear main seal. They can appear to be coming from the oil pan. Before I attempted to remove the pan I would be 100% sure that's where it's coming from. If you are sure it's the pan then you will have to loosen the motor mount bolts and jack the engine up slightly to remove it. Don't jack it up by the pan. There are spots in the front corners of the block that you can use. Jack it up enough so you can put wood blocks between the motor mount and frame. Don't jack it up too high as you can damage the radiator. Once you have the pan loose you will have to unbolt the oil pump screen. You will most likely have to turn the motor slightly so the pan clears the crankshaft.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jandjinfla
      • May 18 2014

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

John,
      I will look for the source of the leak again.
      Thanks,
      Joe

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

De-grease the area to check for leaks. Also check the torque on the oil pan bolts. Sometimes a re-tighten is all you'll need.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎