No announcement yet.

Engine mounts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine mounts

I removed the engine mount bolts holding the motor to the engine mounts to raise the motor a few inches to remove the oil pan. After the engine was raised I noticed the engine mounts moved up and down and the frame. Is the normal?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The motor mount bolt that holds it to the cross member should be tight. Sounds like somebody missed a step.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Dan, sometimes I can be dense. I read your question several times and I cannot put it together in my head.

You said you unbolted the mounts from the engine. Ok, you can do that AFTER you remove the large nut from the crossmember. Then, the mount will still be bolted to your 390 block like this:

Originally posted by Dan.loeb
      I removed the engine mount bolts holding the motor to the engine mounts to raise the motor a few inches to remove the oil pan. After the engine was raised I noticed the engine mounts moved up and down and the frame. Is the normal?
      I guess I don't understand how engine mounts can move up and down (and the frame). If your rubber mounts are not broken, they cannot move from the engine or the #2 crossmember (frame). Engine mounts are very important and a safety issue. Some racing mechanics chain the engine to the frame just in case a mount breaks. It is that important.

Maybe if you re-word your question, I can get what you mean. Otherwise, as John said, everything should be tight. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

My iPad went ahead and did some auto correcting on its own.

The engine mount has one bolt that attaches the mount to the frame and two bolts that hold the mount to the engine as pictured in the picture you supplied Dave. The one bolt that holds the rubber parts of the engine mount to the frame moves up and down on both sides freely. The hole that one bolts goes into is actually long up and down as to do adjustments of some sort. I can get pictures tomorrow since I am currently out of town.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The reason for the oblong holes is to give room to level the engine. As I mentioned once the engine is set in the cross member and level the motor mount bolts should be tightened.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Yes, think about it... the holes must be oblong for lowering angled bolts into a 'vee' perch. The longer the bolts are, the longer the slots need to be. When the engine bottoms on the crossmember mounts, the rubber engine mounts should sit flat on both sides, then tightened.

I just reworded the same thing John already posted.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎