X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Electric Wiper Motor

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to use a standard model wiper motor to replace the vacuum one in our birds. With used motors going for $10-15 it seems silly to spend $200+ to buy the aftermarket motor if it just needs a mounting bracket fabricated to match up. I'm sure the rectangular mating piece can be taken off the old one and somehow reused. After looking at pictures of the aftermarket one closely it doesn't look like any great feat of engineering. Before I give it a try I was just wondering if anyone can think of reasons why it wouldn't work. Some of the late model motors certainly look small enough to fit in a tight spot.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I agree!

I couldnt bring myself to spend that amount either; on an item that would only be used very infrequently. If it looks like its gonna rain, the car stays in the garage.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Some classic car owners completely remove their wiper arms and cover the splines with those chrome 'bullet' things.

But... for those of us who drive our cars, interval & self-park wipers are a 'must have'. Two hundred does sound high, but the hurt quickly fades after you see the results. Mine were well worth the cash. No more stalling or slowing to a crawl. Now, my same wipers plow through snow effortlessly. I had the '59 out only a few days ago for my January 'fix'. What a joy it is to drive...
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Restifier52
        Experienced
        • Jul 26 2011

I forked over for the aftermarket motor. I have a problem with it, too. I can't set the wipers so they lay down (park) at the bottom of the windshield where they are supposed to because when I move the switch to operate them, they go down a bit then go back and forth as usual. So my wipers look a bit funny, parked higher than they should be.
        I did decide to forgo the windshield washer system. If anyone needs any of those parts I still have them.
        1960 HT
        Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• lawyercalif
          Experienced
          • May 12 2011

I am very happy with the electric wipers. They were easy to install while I had the dash off for a new pad. I think it is a better deal for the $200.00 than a lot of other parts that cost that much, such as the rubber top seals I had to buy.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Rick, you don't say what brand you have so I'm going to guess you bought the popular Newport Engineering wipers. I had a question regarding mine as well so I called. I found there are adjustments you can make and their tech support is very happy to walk you through.

I strongly suggest you call them to get your wipers working properly. I have two sets and am very happy with both; a world of difference from stock and they didn't change the appearance of my dash.

I might be wrong, but I think all their switches come with the washer option, but not the interval option. If you set your knob too far down, there isn't any room left to push-in for the wash contact to close. Loosen the set screw, lift it up a bit and screw it down again. I think the dark brown wire delivers +12 for your washer bottle motor. Either use that or convert your Washer Switch to an electric microswitch, and let it turn on a relay. Washers are very important in my book.

Hope this helps. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I used the ...

Newport setup with the intermittent option and they work well. My car is definitely a driver and it makes driving so much nicer when the sky is crying. I suppose You could make something else work if you have the ability and access to some machine equipment, which I do but at my age I'm learning to pick my battles and at $200 for a bolt in setup I decided this was one I wouldn't engage in. Mike

Comment

• Restifier52
                Experienced
                • Jul 26 2011

Yes Dave I believe they are Newport. I will give them a call. Thanks.
                1960 HT
                Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Meridious
                  Experienced
                  • Nov 16 2007

I just installed the kit on mine and already have no issues convincing myself it was worth it. Mine would almost completely stop when idling, and that is after I took the measure of adding a vacuum bowl to help out.

Now...I have two speeds and no worries. I have spent money on much worse things with regard to my autos. All hail the electric windshield wipers!

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                  Some classic car owners completely remove their wiper arms and cover the splines with those chrome 'bullet' things.

But... for those of us who drive our cars, interval & self-park wipers are a 'must have'. Two hundred does sound high, but the hurt quickly fades after you see the results. Mine were well worth the cash. No more stalling or slowing to a crawl. Now, my same wipers plow through snow effortlessly. I had the '59 out only a few days ago for my January 'fix'. What a joy it is to drive...

Comment

• del
                    Retired Expert Enthusiast
                    • May 11 2010

I also installed the electric conversion kit, purchased from MAC's, this past summer and am very happy with it. I did not explore trying to retro-fit a different motor...
                    Regards,
                    Don Vincent
                    Amherst NY
                    1960 HT 352
                    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Electric Wiper Motor-Success!

I finally got around to experimenting with retrofitting a late model wiper motor to my '59. I found a link on the internet which detailed how to do it on another type car but with the same type vacuum motor. It explains how you have to use a rear wiper motor that has the oscillating gear. All the newer type front wiper motors are only one direction. You also have to use a motor that goes counterclockwise from the park position. I picked up a rear motor from a '92 Buick Roadmaster and it does the trick. It's not lightening fast and it's only one speed but that's one speed more than my vacuum motor had. I'm sure if I looked around a little more I could've found one that's two speed but I don't plan on driving in the rain if I can help it. I used the mounting bracket from a '61 T-Bird wiper motor I had laying around but it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate one. The hardest part was cutting the shaft to the right length and making the rectangular piece that mates to the wiper transmission and getting it oriented correctly on the shaft. I used some U shaped angle iron from some shelving I had laying around and it works just fine. A lot of street rodders are using an intermittant wiper switch and relay from a Ford Truck or Bronco with a single speed motor so I may try that rather than a standard single speed switch. My only outlay was $20 for the motor. It's certainly a cheaper alternative than spending $200+ for the aftermarket setup. I wouldn't recommend it for daily driving but for me it should work just fine.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Mickfly70
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 20 2010

With all this talk about wiper motors......I was wondering for those that have a vacuum washer (not wiper - mine is working fine after a tip from the forum! brake fluid)

Anyway, I bought a used one off Rick but the vacuum pump didn't work because the round rubber flange inside the vacuum system had perferated so the suction won't engage the motor.

Mick (trying to keep a "period" 60 tbird)
                        Attached Files
                        Mick Egan Vancouver Island Canada
                        60 Tbird

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎