View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Yes, it sounds good so far. You have vacuum, you used the larger reservoir for your front lines, you connected the prop valve according to the diagram, and your booster holds a vacuum even after your engine stops (so you still have power brakes in an emergency).

Run some tests:

With the engine off, disconnect the top pin. Does the booster return all the way to the 'at rest' position (or is the linkage pulling it in)?

Have someone step on the pedal with the engine running, and WATCH the linkage. Does it bind? Does it hit the end of its stroke before the brakes lock up?

If it all looks good, the next part I would look at is the space between your booster and your M/C. (This isn't your brake pedal rod... that's another thing.) How much gap is there? You can measure this without disconnecting lines. If you need to, use a piece of clay or plumber's putty because everything is hidden.

All these vacuum-powered booster systems work the same and they are pretty easy to set up. There are no secrets and there shouldn't be any surprises... step on the pedal, booster opens a vacuum valve which adds assist to your master cylinder.

Hey David, did you take any pictures???

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca