• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wyldie
    Apprentice
    • Dec 22 2016

Tack strip mount 60 conv

Hi guys
    Looks like some water has been sitting on my convertible top tack strip channel. As a result its rusted away.

Had a quick look at some suppliers, couldn't see it as a viable part does anyone know where I can get them I've attached a pic

Last edited by Wyldie; June 25, 2017, 05:53 AM.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Check with Carl Heller (partsetal). He can probably tell you what to use to replace it. He may even have something that he stocks.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

What you're experiencing with the tack strip is typical. The correct options are limited, while some installers claim that the rubber/plastic tack strip commonly available will do the job when riveted in place. It is a good tacking surface but it is not rigid and will pull between the rivets over time.
      The first photo is an undamaged original with the tack strip wedged into the grooves. (The factory used a rope like paper material in these strips) The piece shown is missing the 14" straight pieces that go on each end.
      The second photo shows tacking/metal strip that is used on many cars, but bending it to the squarebird tight curves causes it to kink. It could be cut in several pieces to eliminate the curves but the remaining sections would have to be bent over a mandrel of some sort. It does provide excellent retention of the top.
      The third photo shows a substitute method that I tried last fall. The purpose is to prevent the rubber/plastic tacking strip from pulling upwards (where the stress is when the top is up). I was able to use a shrinker/streetcher to form it to the squarebird curves.
      The last photo shows a trial fit of the tacking strip to the mounted metal backing. The tacking strip is riveted and glued to the metal, the bend at the top of the metal will prevent the tacking strip from deforming and loosening the top. This is my first attempt at this and I won't get to see the long term results unless the new owner has a complaint.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Wyldie
        Apprentice
        • Dec 22 2016

Thanks Carl, great information, I'll try and give it a go making my own

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎