Clear All
  • demon62
    • May 10 2013

air compressor

Air compressor won't turn on, any ideas other than electrical
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

There are times when I can be thick but... Is your compressor powered by an ELECTRIC motor? If it won't turn on, I would look at the electric motor.

Is there more to this? - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• demon62
      • May 10 2013

yes it's electrical but i thought at one time there was a vacum problem i had before. i cant find a vacum leak this time

Comment

• Ian M Greer
        Experienced
        • Jul 29 2010

Is your pressure switch defective ? If you have no pressure or the pressure is below the setting of the pressure switch the air compressor should start . Check the switch for power and possible broken or open contacts . The pressure switch is what maintains a constant pressure in your tank by sensing tank pressure and bringing on the compressor when it drops below what ever your preset pressure for low pressure in your tank and intern turns off the compressor when you reach the setting for high pressure in the tank . If your compressor is large enough the pressure switch will intern engage the electrical starter to put electrical power to the motor driving the compressor. Ian

Comment

• demon62
          • May 10 2013

thanks for the help IAN i looked at the switch (under driver side dash?) i found a ground wire and two electric prongs with nothing pluged in and a red wire running towards the passenger side i'll start there.

Comment

• Ian M Greer
            Experienced
            • Jul 29 2010

Not trying to guide you astay on my answer , but reading your other posting I'm coming to the conclusion you are referring to your air-conditioning compressor . There is a wire directly at the A/C compressor from the electric clutch assembly that should plug into a wire running along your valve cover . More times than enough you will find it dissconnected because either the compressor is seized or defective or the system is out of freon . Newer cars have a saftey low pressure cut out switch built in the wiring to prevent the compressor from running our early birds do not have such a switch . If setting the A/C thermostat to the coldest position and the wire is connected then I would look for a power issue or possibly a defective thermostat . But nine times out of ten its a gas or a compressor issue . If such is the case have a qualified car A/C man look at it. keep us posted , Ian M Greer (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH)

Comment

• demon62
              • May 10 2013

thanks i will let you next week what a find, i dont know if you seen my other post about what happend when we started the car after hooking up the a/c lines to charge the system. while she was on the rack she jumped into reverse and off she went, stoping five feet from a boat at the shop. my buddy grabed the shift lever and put it in park now i lost my park gear, so i am digging into this also. keep you posted of the out come

Comment

• KULTULZ

I thought he was describing a shop air compressor...

Comment

• Ian M Greer
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 29 2010

Gary I thought so to , until I read another one of his posts . I felt a little down when I realized he was talking about his car A/C and not an air compressor. Anyway were on the right topic now , regards Ian (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH)

Comment

• demon62
                    • May 10 2013

yes i am talking about my car A/C compressor, when i turn the air on in the car my compressor clutch doesn't come on. and as of today i am still chasing this issue. i can run a jumper wire to the clutch and it comes on. i chased the wire to a relay of some sorts(under driver side) and i have a red wire going over to the passenger side. on this relay there are two male ends not in use, so i guessing something came loose. does this relay make any sense to you or is this not related to my a/c.

Comment

• KULTULZ

You need a wiring schematic for the car.

Comment

• demon62
                        • May 10 2013

I have the original one that came with the car when I got the car, just having a hard time looking at the schematic and the car I don’t like electrical stuff that much i think i am getting close just a little Frustrated. I replaced everything to do with the a/c system about five months ago everything worked great and went to charge the system check for leaks one last time get ready for the summer and know something wrong between the switch in the car to the a/c compressor clutch.

Comment

• Ian M Greer
                          Experienced
                          • Jul 29 2010

Are you sure your thermostat is closing , with these cars the thermostat is the only control to cycle the compressor . Can you hear it close when you set it to it's coldest position even then it doesn't mean its closing the contacts internally . Ian(REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH)

Comment

• KULTULZ

How do the system pressure(s) read with the gauges hooked up?

If the schematic doesn't help, you will have to back probe the circuit to hopefully find the fault. Is there a diagnostic sequence in your Shop Manual?

Comment

• demon62
                              • May 10 2013

i didn't get to mess with the car this week, i'll have to wait to this weekend, but thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎