Correct interiors and engine bays

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone

I'm on the lookout for a good original or older restoration 58-60 convertible. I've been doing lots of Internet research on square birds over the past few weeks. I would like to be able to identify correct engine bays and interiors when looking at cars for sale. Recently I was looking over a 1960 soft top with leather upholstery here in Oz (not for sale unfortunately). The pattern was quite plain and different from the two-tone vinyl that appears more commonly. From what I can gather, this was correct.

Can anyone recommend specific sites or photos of cars that show correct interiors and what engine bays should look like? It would at least give me a starting point for my search.

Cheers
    Mark
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Try Automotive Mile Posts. Here is the link to the Thunderbird section of it. Then you can click on '59 or '60 and check things out as to how they should be. On the '59 page it will show you what the 352 and the 430 engine looks like. The radiator overflow tank on the 352 is parallel to the radiator. On the 430 it sits on the passenger side and the end is pointed towards the firewall. That is a quick way to tell if the engine you are looking at is a 352 or a 390. I hope this helps.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Thanks for that. It's a good site as it has all the interior colours as well. This convertible is for sale on EBay at the moment. Unfortunately it's a bit rich for my budget. However, they have provided a lot of detailed photos. Would they work as a guide?

Regards
      Mark

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Mark, I have seen the ad for that beautiful '58 many times, and it would be a great example of what a properly restored '58 in particular, and '59, '60 Squarebird should look like. Other than certain things like a different grill on the '58 from the '59's and '60's. Each year they had a different grill. The '58 and '59 had the same taillight 4 light set up, but the '60 had six. The neat thing about that is some owners have put the Flairbird blinking sequencing light system on their '60 Tbird. You can buy the unit for about $70 something. The chrome markings on the sides of the Squarebird is different each year. Chrome hashmarks on the door for '58, the chrome spear for '59 and the chrome hashmarks on the rear fender for the '60. You have good pictures of what the 352 looks like in these photos of the '58, and Automotive Mile Posts gives you a good picture of the 430. The door panels and interior for the '60 is different from the '58 and '59, and you can see the differences in the AMP website that I sent you the link to. Each year there was some differences in how they did the interiors, the seat covers, etc. I hope this helps.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Two things that I noticed that are incorrect are the mirrors; they are aftermarket and not the correct design and the trunk lid padding is black. It was originally tan. I believe black is the only color available now that is being reproduced. Other than that it's a very nice restoration but remember that it is a restoration and there are probably subtle things that are incorrect if you look closely.
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
            Experienced
            • Mar 31 2004

I have seen this bird and have copies of the photos.

I can spend time reviewing the bird but as noted it can be used as a guide. Remember it is a guide only.

Best would be to obtain photos of the bird you are actually looking at and then ask for input.

As for a document that would help Join VTCI and order a copy of the concourse rules on CD. While this is a very nice piece it was put together by humans and we could not include everything. Next redo we will add more.

Good Luck With the Hunt
            Bird hints are always fun
            Fuz
            58's&64's
            Sun Prairie, Wi
            tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• stu454bb
              Apprentice
              • Jan 27 2011

Hi Mark. I also live in Sydney. My Farther and myself are restoring a 59 hardtop that I believe is a very original survivor, apart from a few small things. I have only seen a few in Australia. They dont come out much at rod shows. If you get one, maybe we can get together for a cruise in the future. Stu

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎