Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmjsong1aolcom
    Experienced
    • Mar 31 2004

C 5A Is a 1965 all ford carb. Autolite. I cannot find my 64-66 rules therefore don' remember the rest of the info.

Are you still located in Wi. amd if so where?

Good Luck with the 60 Bird.

Fuz
    58's&64's
    Sun Prairie, Wi.
    tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

Hi Cathie, & welcome, hopefully everything will work out to expectation. It's a coincidence talking about the move being 352 miles, that is also your 352c.i. engine size.
      Re., #7 thread.

Bird 60.....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• Coral
        Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by tmjsong1aolcom
        C 5A Is a 1965 all ford carb. Autolite. I cannot find my 64-66 rules therefore don' remember the rest of the info.

Are you still located in Wi. amd if so where?

Good Luck with the 60 Bird.

Fuz
        58's&64's
        Sun Prairie, Wi.
        tmjsong1@aol.com
        Thanks for the info....I will have another look at it - was raining - not today though we've got SNW this AM
        Not in WI anymore....central Illinois...but ya couldn't tell from the weather...

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Welcome Cathy.

That '65 carb would also explain the incorrect air cleaner assmbly on top of that 352cid engine....

-Jon
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

That is a newer carb. Extra chock tube and no fuel filter. I don't think the filter would fit the newer ones. The answer to the other ? She got the camara I got the car! One of those weird moments.

Comment

• Coral
              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by bird 60
              Hi Cathie, & welcome, hopefully everything will work out to expectation. It's a coincidence talking about the move being 352 miles, that is also your 352c.i. engine size.
              Re., #7 thread.

Bird 60.....From the Land of OZ.
              G'Day Mate!
              Where about are you in OZ? I've friends there....
              Yes, a nifty point..and there's more...
              a new address will end with 1960 .....

Comment

• Coral
                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by tbird430
                Welcome Cathy.

That '65 carb would also explain the incorrect air cleaner assmbly on top of that 352cid engine....

-Jon
                So, they just slapped a 352 sticker on the aircleaner huh?
                Well, guess I can't complain, least I can get the wing nut off..

Comment

• Coral
                  Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

OK, with some coaching from YellowRose, I went out last night in the rain with the battery booster and hooked the cables up, stuck the key in and she tried to start!
                  I had thought for sure the rats/mice had gotten to the wiring but I must have had the cables backwards before since I got a light show....er, um...
                  The booster wasn't charged so it was just a er, er, er...
                  However I did note that the accelerator/linkage is froze up again, early last spring I had to shoot it with WD40 to loosen it up, so will have to wait for a nicer day to squiggle under and have a birds eye at it.

So we had 4 inches of rain, snow and JUST above freezing temps...within 24 hours....not a happy camper...

Comment

• bird 60
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Mar 18 2009

Hi Cathie, I wish we were getting the rain here instead of you, as we need it real bad. Hopefully you'll be able to get out there soon & have & good look.
                    By the way I'm in ADELAIDE Sth AUSTRALIA

Chris

Comment

• Coral
                      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Yes, I had read and heard about the troubles there in Vic and Syd...my friends are in NSW....

Maybe a rain dance is in order...

Comment

• JohnG
                        John
                        • Jul 28 2003

If you own or can borrow a battery charger, a day on that might do wonders for the battery and increase your chances of starting. You should, if possible, get the battery out of the car to charge it - it is not unheard of having them explode. Meanwhile take something abrasive and clean up the terminal connections.

You might also give thought to how old the gas in the tank is and whether it had fuel stabilizer added to it. If it's too old, you may want to drain it out and start with fresh gas. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank (right side) which makes this not too hard.

Between the two - fresh gas and a good battery - your chances of getting it going improve alot!!

good luck
                        john
                        1958 Hardtop
                        #8452 TBird Registry
                        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                        history:
                        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Coral
                          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Thanks for the tip John, but she's not had a battery in her for several years - I just pop one in when I mess about with her.
                          My trouble was both of the battery cables are black...guess I mess things up the other time...
                          The short cable connects to the (hard)block and the other (longer) connects to a solenoid looking deal on the (pass.) fender wall.

I will indeed look for that plug and thanks, I don't keep much gas in the tanks of sitting cars, and once you said stabilizer, couldn't remember if I added it or not!

I dug about and located all the chrome and took pix today, will be uploading them to her page shortly - as a reminder under PHOTOS then Car Pix...

Comment

• JohnG
                            John
                            • Jul 28 2003

The cable to the solenoid would be Positive (+) and the one to the block Negative (Ground).

The drain plug on the tank I believe has a sqaure head and is toward the front, passenger side. If the rear end is jacked up a bit, it makes finding it and getting something under to drain much easier.

John
                            1958 Hardtop
                            #8452 TBird Registry

history:

Comment

• Coral
                              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Well, today my 'body hauler' (daily ride/work horse) a GMC Sonoma pick-up sent me some vibrations through the steering wheel; and upon inspection discover my driver side wheel bearing needs replaced...
                              Tomorrow's another day right, LOL

I shall be getting a red cable directly so this situation does not repeat.

Now, what YEARS can I search for parts for Coral?
                              I am fairy certain the hood needs too much work, and would be better off replaced.
                              We've a few days of crappy weather expected, but will try for a decent close-up of the hood area I am considering TOO bad to work with.

Comment

• JohnG
                                John
                                • Jul 28 2003

A suggestion might be to get a few parts catalogues from the Squarebird parts dealers. These are good references, even if you never buy a thing from them. Each part listing will show the years that it is applicable to (58,59,60) and thus you know what cars you could transplant parts from. Possible sources are Mac's, Larry's and so on (for catalogues). Dennis Carpenter also comes to mind.

As an example, your car has 3 tail lights on each side instead of 2 like the other years. So if I had it and needed new tail light lenses, I would first wonder if the ones from the other years were the same part # or if something had changed and the 1960 lenses were one of a kind.

On body parts like a hood, you should be fine with any of the three years. In the way of an opinion, if the hood is damaged, getting another would seem far better in the long run than trying to work with a damaged one. If the TBird Ranch is still in operation, that might be a source unless someone in your general area has a junker Squarebird.

On mechanical parts, a surprising number can be purchased over the counter at local auto parts stores. I have walked in and in the past bought: fuel pump, brake components, starter motor, water pump as well as tuneup pieces. This is essentially because the 352 motor is part of a large family of motors (the FE series) that Ford used for a long time.

John
                                1958 Hardtop
                                #8452 TBird Registry

history:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎