X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Exhaust manifold fasteners

While removing my exhaust off the exhaust flange off the manifold (no easy job) I noticed that on the drivers side are 2 studs with nuts and on the passenger side, 1 stud with nut and the other is a bolt which was a bear to remove. Is this factory? I was thinking of putting a stud in before reassembly. Maybe it's an assembly issue. That the pipe flange has to be on against the exhaust manfold first as a clearance issue. Anybody know?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

Not a clearance issue if the right length studs are used. Originally there were studs. The bolt was probably added because it was close at hand and the studs had to be ordered. It could have also been used after someone had to drill a broken stud out and retap the hole. Check the size and thread count to see if they're all the same.
    Carl

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

Be carefull. If you use a stud -which is too long- you can also crack into a water port in the head. This will give you a coolant leak.

Don't ask, but I've been there before. And I was SCARED as heck when I was there too!!

-Jon in TX.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
        Experienced
        • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by tbird430
        Be carefull. If you use a stud -which is too long- you can also crack into a water port in the head. This will give you a coolant leak.

Don't ask, but I've been there before. And I was SCARED as heck when I was there too!!

-Jon in TX.
        This is the stud that goes into the exhaust manifold...not the head.
        "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by 60 T-Bird
          Oh, you mean at the exhaust pipe end. I understand now, sorry for the confusion.

sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• tp tbird
            Experienced
            • Dec 17 2007

Originally posted by 60 T-Bird
            On mine when I took it off there is one stud and one bolt on each side of the exhaust manifold.It maybe a mounting thing or a clearence thing for the starter.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎