Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

You don't need the fan on your new alternator. You DO need a small spacer that keeps your generator pulley away from the alt housing (or it will rub). Alternators have internal fans. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I went a head and ordered a dual pulley off of summit racing and it fit perfectly.

Here's my next question. I am almost finished with the wiring of the new alternator, but according to the wiring diagram on the trl is says I need to wire the thick yellow wire coming from the starter relay to the yellow wire coming off of the horn relay. It was originally connected to the voltage regulator I removed. It seems that my horn relay had two yellow wires coming off of the voltage regulator. Do I connect both yellow wires from the horn relay to the thick yellow wire from the starter relay

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm not sure where you are seeing two yellow wires. You should have the thick yellow wire on the voltage regulator that goes to the starter solenoid connected to a thinner yellow wire going to the horn relay. The other two wires on the relay are blue-yellow to the horn button and black to the horns. When I went to an alternator I left the voltage regulator in place just for looks and gutted the inside. I left the wires connected the way they were on the voltage regulator.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

alternator model type

The same thing was done on my '59 when I converted to an alternator. The VR was left in place and just the wiring to the Gen light was used. Nothing else in the VR had to be used. I see that he removed his VR from the car.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

The voltage regulator does nothing after you mount a self-regulating alternator, so you are certainly at liberty to remove it.

If you do, the Horn Relay needs power. You have two choices:
            You can also remove the short yellow wire that formerly went to the regulator, then connect the #10 yellow wire that was on the regulator, and simply swing it over to the LH terminal of your horn relay OR,
            You can remove the large (#10) yellow wire and simply run your own smaller (#14 or 16) wire from the Horn Relay's LH terminal to the Starter Solenoid, to pick up +12v.

That leaves only one wire remaining, a small GEN light wire (Yellow-Black). At this point it does nothing but it could be your new alternator's 'sense' wire, to tell the alternator that your Key Switch is turned on.

If you have a one-wire alternator, you're done. It cannot use the GEN wire so you might as well tape it off. Ray has a one-wire and he claims his GEN light works. If it is connected to the yellow +12 wire, that would make it NOT work because then the light would be connected at both ends to +12.

So, in a nutshell... remove the Voltage Regulator, remove both yellow wires, run a new wire from the Horn Relay's LH terminal to the Batt + (Starter Solenoid) and finally, use the small Gen (Yellow-Black) wire for your 'sense' on a 3-wire alt. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎