X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

removing the back seats of a 1962 tbird

I want to remove the back seats whats exactly involved in this. Please be specific. I want to locate the build sheet and have access to the eight relays. Thank you Larry still learnig.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

removing the back seats of a 1962 tbird

Hi Larry, and welcome to Squarebirds. First of all, the Build Sheet could be anywhere. It could be in the springs of the front seats, in the springs of the back seat or back rest. It has even been found behind or underneath the dash pad. I think it has even been found under the carpeting. But often it is found in the springs of the back seat.

There are at least two clips on the back seat that hold the seat in place. At least that is the way it is with the Squarebirds. Now it can be difficult getting those clips to release the lower part of the seat. Some have been able to pop the seat loose, by pushing down and back on the seat, popping the lower seat bar out of the clips Some have had to use a crow bar, or the flat blade of the jack handle, to use as leverage and pry the seat loose. If you do this, be careful not to break the clips off. Try prying pretty close to the center of the seat. I think those clips are about six inches or so out from the center of the seat. Once you get the seat out, look throughout the bottom where the seat was, for the Build Sheet, and in the under part of the seat itself. If you find it, treat it with care because it might be very fragile from aging.

Once you have the seat out, if you want to take the back off, then that is something that I am not sure how it goes on your year car. A shop manual if you have one, should tell you. Or hopefully, one of the Bulletbird owners will come along and tell you. You are probably going to have to take off the side sections that surround the seat. You might have to loosen the seat back from the trunk. I really do not know.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Petrolhead
      Experienced
      • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by Larry Jones
      I want to remove the back seats whats exactly involved in this. Please be specific. I want to locate the build sheet and have access to the eight relays. Thank you Larry still learnig.
      Hi ya Larry

Is yours a hardtop? Not sure if teh convertible and hardtop are different.

I've had tehrear seats in and out of my '62 hardtop numerous times, it's dead simple. teh seat base pulls up. Grab it down low where it meets the carpt (you may need to isnert a lever as ray sugegsted, mine didn't ned it) and the bas pops up from the front. It then slide sout from beneath the seat back, remove it carefully watchign that you don't snag the upholstery while gettign it out teh door opening.

the seat back is held in my to self tapping fasteners, us e awwrench to undo these. Lift the seat back up slightly as you remove it, as part of the seat back hooks over a couple of sturdy clips on the rera bulkhead.

That's all there is to it, less than ten minutes and just two fasteners.

If you want to access the relays (there were only two in my car , for the rear 1/4 windows) you'll also have to remove the rear 1/4 panel interior trim, There's a few screws to undo, nothing tricky, but leave the power window switches attached to the quarter panel - it's much easier just to disconnect the plug at the back of the switch.

Give me a few minutes and Ill find and resize some pics so you know what to expect

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

• Petrolhead
        Experienced
        • Jul 2 2007

Larry, just looking back at my pics and I remebered that you can access the rear 1/4 power window relays with the rear 1/4 trim panels still in place - sorry about putting you crook!

Comment

• Petrolhead
          Experienced
          • Jul 2 2007

here are the photos, hope they help

the arrow and the box in two of the pics show where the relay is hiding

One pic shows one of the two bolts that hold the rear seat back in place
          Attached Files

Comment

• Larry Jones
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2009

thank you Mr clark for your information of the seat removalLarry

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎