Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MelMan
    • Oct 17 2009

AC

Hi, I was wondering if any one has used or purchased aftermarket ac unit for Squarebirds? Maybe one system is better than the other?
    Thanks Bill

Hey Bill,
    I've been looking at this web site. Christine has no AC, but when I redo her I will add AC original or this!
    Ford Thunderbird Air Conditioning Systems and OEM restoration parts from Classic Auto Air. High performance / High efficiency Ford AC systems & parts.

Richard D. Hord

Comment

• MelMan
      • Oct 17 2009

ac

Hi, Richard my wifes is a mild custom! So it doesnt need to be a factory unit, it is a real 430 car when I got it the motor was shot so I tuned it up a bit now it has 512ci mel with tripower, c6 trans some other goodies!
      I think the unit u were looking at is the same one a saw on ebay!
      Thanks Bill

Comment

512" Mell !!!

That is way cool. Would sure like to see some pics of that build if you have some. I'am planing a 482 FE for my 60, but it has to wait for the wifes truck restoration(which is getting close) and then my mustang. the mustang is getting a crossbolted 434" FE that should be just south of 600hp. I'am in the process of putting the Classic Auto A/C in my sixty now along with a bunch of interior work. if I get it done before I leave for the winter will post some info. Mike

Comment

• MelMan
          • Oct 17 2009

tbird

Ya its a net car! She has been real patient with me! (just about to run out) I started on it a few years back and got side tracked with racing and other peoples projects! Now I need to figure out were I left off I have a bunch of pics. soon as I get a scanner(its been that long) I can put some pics up!
          Thanks Bill

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

A few of our members have Classic Air. It's a good syst. Runs on 134A. The Sanden compressor draws little or no horsepower. I also know people with GM's that run.

R12 will woon be a thing of the past. Original systems converted to 134A will not work as well. Plus those original compressors took some HP to run.

If I had an orig AC car . . . . sure I'd want to keep the stock system. Maybe have a larger condenser made (it'sout of sight anyways) to help it run with the 134 conversion done.
            But as far as adding AC, Classic is the way to go.

Comment

• ncbird
              Experienced
              • Jan 5 2008

vintage air

We are putting the new generation vintage air in my convertible. I wanted the biggest I could get because of the convertible and the heat here in the summer. It has caused us to do a lot of extra work to get it up under the dash. If the classic fits with out modifying the lower panel that would be well worth it. We have had to add a small bubble in the fire wall and move the lower panel out 3/4 of an inch. This unit does have the advantage of being able to split high and low. I am using a factory vent in the dash and then two in the lower panel, one on each side. I am curious as to how the classic compressor brackets worked for those using them. I used them and had to modify them and go to the later water pump to gain the extra groove on the pulley. I would love to know how you guys got them to work because we couldnt.
              Last edited by ncbird; October 19, 2009, 09:15 AM. Reason: clarification
              Grant
              NCbird on the Coast of NC
              "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• MelMan
                • Oct 17 2009

AC

Thanks guys! I think it sounds like the classic air is the way to go! Is there a forum member that is a dealer?
                Thanks Bill

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

I like how you guys have wives with their own classic cars. I'm a little jealous actually.

My wife is supportive of my hobby, but could care less about it herself. In fact, she doesn't really even enjoy riding in it. That's OK, really, I didn't marry her for her interest in cars.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

• vernz
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 12 2008

My wife puts up with my cars, but that's about as far as it goes. I keep trying to tell her that we have his and hers T-birds, she gets the 59 and I get the 60, but she hasn't bought that one yet.

Vern

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎