Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfd574
    • Apr 12 2011

Need a little a/c help.

We have a 1960 T-bird that has a/c in it. The previous owner had replaced the compressor a couple years ago and not sure if it is the same as the original. I noticed that it wasn't really putting out cold air so thought that it may need a charge. When I started to look at the compressor I couldn't figure out how to or where to charge it. I am attaching a couple of pictures so that you can see what it looks like. One of them has a couple of caps off it and not sure what the little "bolts" are that are under the caps. They turn and it seems as if they are turned "open". The two brass ones come off to but there isn't any "valve" that I can see where we can hook up to charge this thing. Any one have any idea about this kind of compressor and how I can get this thing to give me some cold air?

• simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Don't touch it. There are too many 'unknowns' here. Did the previous owner switch refrigerant types? If you put the wrong stuff in, this could become expensive.

I'm all for doing our own restorations whenever possible but this needs a professional with proper tools AND a warranty.

The A/C guy may seem expensive, but have him check for leaks and make sure you get a warranty in writing. Ask him who made the compressor, what type of refrigerant was used, etc. If he won't write a warranty, go somewhere else.

And if it needs juice next spring, call in that warranty.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Need a little a/c help.

Dave gave you some good advice. To help yourself, IF you can contact the previous owner, do so and ask him which refrigerant is in the system. Ask him if it R-12, or if it R-132, or some other refrigerant. That will be a help to your A/C guy in troubleshooting it. If the previous owner can tell you that, then you can pass that on to the A/C guy checking it out for you. It will be good for you to know and him also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

All great advice above.

Just to answer one of your questions, the a/c gauge & charge hoses go to the fittings under those smaller brass caps (pointing to the inner fender wells).
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

A/C compressor

If your bird is a driver, do yourself a big favor and switch to the new Sanden compressor. I am very happy with it. Takes much less power, and runs very smoothly. No jerking as with the original.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Need a little a/c help

Hi John,

Can you give us some additional information regarding this Sanden compressor? It might be something more of us are interested in knowing about.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Jimz Bird
              Experienced
              • Feb 3 2011

Here is a list of distributors.

Vintage Air is one of them.

Jim
              Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
              sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Most OEM A/C compressors are vane pumps, and cheaper to manufacture. Sanden compressors are piston pumps, with a swash plate to vary the pressure.

You can imagine, a lot of pistons going around in their bores are more expensive to manufacture. The difference? Not a lot. I have Sanden and I have OEM compressors. The Sanden's tend to be a bit quieter and maybe a little more efficient, but both pumps are positive-displacement pumps and they both do the same thing.

I got mine from Vintage Air.

- Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Need a little a/c help.

Thanks for the information on Sanden A/C compressors. I see their website is down. I tried to bring up that link, and then the main site, several times, and it would not come up.

As for Vintage Air, they are right here in San Antonio! If I have a need to swap out my A/C compressor, I will consider a Sanden compressor and get it locally. So far, my A/C is working fine again on Rose. It was so cold going up and coming back from Fredericksburg a couple of weekends ago that I had the vents mostly closed to keep it from freezing my head! I hope it works as well during the upcoming heat of a South Texas summer!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

BTW, when you deviate from 'stock' a new bracket must be fabricated. I have no problem making one for my Y-Block but this is all custom work which could be expensive if you need to pay someone else to make it. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                      Experienced
                      • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by johns60
                      If your bird is a driver, do yourself a big favor and switch to the new Sanden compressor. I am very happy with it. Takes much less power, and runs very smoothly. No jerking as with the original.
                      Can you tell me which Sanden you used?
                      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 3 2011

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                        BTW, when you deviate from 'stock' a new bracket must be fabricated. I have no problem making one for my Y-Block but this is all custom work which could be expensive if you need to pay someone else to make it. - Dave
                        I haven't shopped prices directly from vintage air but some of the TBird vendors include a combination bracket for generator/alternator and compressor. (I wouldn't put air on without having an alternator first)

Vendors run between 900-1,000.
                        Jim
                        Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• 430bird60
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 30 2008

compressor gasket kit

I'm having trouble finding a gasket/seal kit for my a/c compressor. I really don't know what compressor I have. The data plate is worn but I can see that it indicates Borg Warner A210 and it is cast iron. It is on my 430 engine. I have another compressor off a 60 lincoln and it looks the same but it doesn't have a data plate. The car has not run in several years and has lost its freon. The a/c worked very well prior to parking the car. Bird Nest has the gasket kit and shaft kit but they don't seem to think they will fit this compressor. I may have to go after market if I can't find the gasket kits. Anyone know whether or not kits for a tecumseh or york will work for me? Thanks

Ken

Comment

• Tbird1044
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jul 31 2012

Ken:
                            There are a couple companies out there that deal with classic car AC systems. Here is a link to one of them: https://originalair.com/
                            I remember there is a good one in Florida and another in Texas that I dealt with.
                            I would call these companies directly with all the info you have and also be prepared to send a picture of your compressor via email. They are very knowledgeable about these old systems.
                            The one in Texas sent me gaskets, new valve bodies, seal and O-rings and all went well. This was a company in Texas.
                            If I can find the right link, I will edit this message and add it.
                            Here is a second site for reference: https://www.polarbearinc.com/
                            Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I think Borg Warner only made the clutch assembly. The compressor itself is either a York or Tecumseh. If I'm not mistaken Borg Warner owned York at one time so it may be a York.

John
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎