X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimz Bird
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2011

Baby Bird Headers

In another thread Joe has a partial pic of headers on his 57. Have any full shots handy?

They look like Headman Headers Tri-Y. Are they?

I "seem" to remember them from the 60's on Y-Blocks but not positive.

Here is an interesting old thread on Jalopy Journal. Any input on what they are saying Joe?
    I just posted the information I got, more or less confirming the story on these headers...scroll down... So I got a few more items from my Uncle for...
    Jim
    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Y'all are makin me go way back in time!! After following the links I think mine are Red's. I had another set that were the flatter style and pointed back to the firewall. They fit the engine but definitely not for a little Bird. I'll take some pictures soon and post them.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

Header Pictures

Took a couple of pictures of the headers I have. Looks like I need to do some serious cleaning and painting. Basically on both sides I welded 90* bends to turn back to the block and then another 90 to go down between the block and frame. Then a short straight extension is clamped on with a 90 to go rearward and extended to the stock muffler location. I had these 4pieces aluminized and they have held up well for over 30 years.
      The rest of the exhaust is SS from CASCO without resonators.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

Sound clip?

I tried to post a sound clip, is it possible??

Comment

• GTE427
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 9 2007

Joe, cool pictures of your header setup, looks great.

Following Jimz links to the HAMB forum, someone had posted a 1963 Hedman Header catalog page which had headers available for the 58-60 Thunderbird FE along with images. Check it out.
          Ken
          1959 J Convertible
          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Baby Bird Headers

Hi Joe,

How big is the sound file? If you can get it through email to me, I should be able to put it on the server and post it for you. Another way would be to put it in a web page, and post the link to it.
            Last edited by YellowRose; April 20, 2012, 09:25 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Baby Bird Headers

Hi Joe, Here is your audio file of the '57 doing it's thang! You should be able to just click on the file and it should start playing. Or right click on it and save it to your Desktop. When I click on it, it asks me if I want to open it with Windows Media Player and I clicked OK.

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/MOV01094.mpg
              Last edited by YellowRose; April 20, 2012, 09:25 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                Experienced
                • Feb 3 2011

GREAT sounding Bird Joe!

They do look like Red's
                Reds Headers, headers, custom headers, ford headers, antique headers, antique ford headers, classic car headers, antique car headers, flathead headers, flat head headers, flathead v8, flat head v8, model A, ford model a, ford lifters, flat head ford lifters, adjustable ford lifters, johnson lifters, solid lifters, early ford lifters, mercury lifters, lifters, hot rod lifters, flat tappets, valve lifters, ford tappets, solid tappets, johnson tappets, flathead ford lifters, flathead lifters, flathead, flat head
                Last edited by Jimz Bird; April 19, 2012, 10:03 PM.
                Jim
                Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Dec 23 2008

GREAT sounding Bird Joe!

Thanks!

Something about the sound of a Y-Block I've always liked. That was taken a few days after firing up after a rebuild. I should take another video since it now idles slower and runs better.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎