View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul274854 View Post
If your not redoing the Bird for Concours, I recommend going with an electric unit. I also recommend the unit from New Port Engineering. With this kit, you use the factory switch. Either two speed or multispeed.
I totally agree. This is an area of 'safety' and it is hidden from view. I bought two New Port Eng., sets from JPL in Aliquippa, PA (724-375-3940). They also sell on eBay.

The reason I bought from them is cost; best prices and free shipping. The wiper kit comes drop-shipped from the factory. Make sure you order exactly what you need to avoid buying any options from the factory, and (of course) more shipping costs.

This setup is completely invisible and as said, you use your stock knob. For our '59 Galaxie, I bought the shaft extension and interval option. After installation, turning the knob gives Hi, Lo, and interval settings. Pushing the knob in, closes an electrical contact so you can use it on your own squirter motor.

Now the wipers work as well as a modern car, every time, and they are powerful. That old Trico vacuum unit was trash from the git as it slowed or stopped upon acceleration or climbing a mountain. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca