View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Got my restored plate back

Kevin,

Congratulations on your personalized plate.

He in New York as in most states, personalized plates are relatively cheap. I pay $50 a year extra. The only problem is getting what you want, since there are so many of them, most of the good combinations are already taken.

On my 1959 Hardtop I was lucky enough to get "CHARMING." I requested this plate in the mid 1980's. It is inspired by one of my favorite groups - The Smiths, an English alternative rock group. It is named after one of their songs - "This Charming Man." One of the lines in the song goes, "When in this charming car, this charming man..." I had license plate frames made up with "When in this...car" and "This...man." Few in the states are familiar with the music of the Smiths, so rarely over the years has someone walked up to me and told me that he/she knows what the plate refers to. Most probably think to themselves that I am vain. The lyrics of the song describe a man that is anything but vain.

The best part of the plate is that there was a version of "This Charming Man" that was called the New York version. It is fortuitous that I manage to acquire this plate combination.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top